Question

G36 drops Wifi connection on all devices daily. Ethernet connected device remain connected to internet?

• 7 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

G36 drops Wifi connection on all devices daily. Ethernet connected device remain connected to internet? Not and ISP or internet issue

I have called for help and they did some troubleshooting, and told me to give it 24 hours and to call back with case number if the problem happens again. However it is 6 hours later and now none of the wifi networks are visible. They show active and working in the arris modem/router portal.. But no network is findable.

Every time I search this issue no one has a solution. Just tells the customer to reboot or some lame simple solution that does not work. I should not have to reboot my device on a daily basis. It is 2 weeks since I purchased this item and I have had this issue since I bought it. Either solve this issue or say you can’t so I can return it ASAP. No more lame simple technical troubleshooting. It is not on the ISP end. that should be obvious if you have been reading. It is clear it is on the modem/router end.

When you buy a product you expect it to do what it is supposed to do. Or at least expect the support for it in a timely manner. I don’t have the time and should not have to be searching your community site for other customers to solve the issue. That should be your job. I already paid for this product to do what it is supposed to do.

What is the deal with your modem/router?

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

For wifi intermittent connection issue the most imported trouble shooting steps are changing wifi channel on the modem interface and if still issue persist checking cable signal to make sure your modem is getting proper signal according to your modem model requirement. If other Wi-Fi sources such as neighboring wireless access points are using the same wireless channel, this may cause intermittent connectivity issues, even if the competing signal is relatively weak. Changing the wireless channel within the  gateway can improve connectivity.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

On the interface of your modem we need to check the signal comes from out to inside the home. There are some important things that should be within a specific range in order for the internet to work properly.

First, the SNR should be above 33 on all of them. The downstream power should always be between -15 and +15. The closer to 0 the better connection. Finally, your upstream power should always be between +45 and +51

On all of those values you should not have more than 3 decibels (or dB) between the lowest and the highest

By having the values in less than that, your device will have interrupted connection, slow or no connection at all.

Please follow the steps mentioned on the below to check the signal level

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G34-G36-Cable-Signal-Levels

I am having these same issues. I have followed all the steps on the “self help” website. Changes channels, changed signals, factory reset. Doesn’t seem to matter, it will stay online and functional for a couple hours then will drop out and need to be reset. We have had our G36 for almost 2 years and this just became an issue in the past week.

Sorry I can’t help @iamjsmart , but I do feel your pain and expect better from their support given how expensive their modem/routers are. 

Just chiming in with the same issue. I recently changed from the Netgear Nighthawk to the G36.  Now, our Wi-Fi calls on our cell phones constantly drop. Very annoying when I am dependent on my cell phone for work.  Not to mention the frustration from my boss when we get “disconnected” each time we talk.  I have tried the reboots, the channel change, and checking the signals.  Nothing has improved.  Arris is making me miss my Netgear.  :-(

@ClarkCast360 why did you switch from the Nighthawk? I was thinking of a different modem/router to buy so looking for recommendations since @SURFboard Moderator and the G36 is not currently reliable since like you I need a reliable internet connection all day for work. 

Thanks

@Danielhfoleu It was old and tired. LOL.  I have used it for 2-3 years and I recently started having issues with it in regards to our cameras staying connected.  The web and app interface was no longer reliable as well.  Needed to reboot 2 to 3 times before everything started working again.  To be fair, it was awesome for about 2 years.  But for the $$$ I just wanted it to last a little longer.  Debated gong the combo route again vs. doing individual devices.  As you can tell, decided on the combo G36.  The more I research, we are not the first to see this issue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I am having these same issues. I have followed all the steps on the “self help” website. Changes channels, changed signals, factory reset. Doesn’t seem to matter, it will stay online and functional for a couple hours then will drop out and need to be reset. We have had our G36 for almost 2 years and this just became an issue in the past week.

Sorry I can’t help @iamjsmart , but I do feel your pain and expect better from their support given how expensive their modem/routers are. 

In this case we would like to know the cable signal level mentioned on the modem interface for respective downstream and upstream channels so that we can work on this further. Since your internet service provider will send the signal level that are compatible with their respective model so we need to check on this further to assist you.