Skip to main content
Solved

g54 wifi not reaching all areas of home

• 15 January 2024
  • 2 replies

We recently switched to the g54 modem/router. It advertises that the signal will reach 5,000 sq ft, which is why we bought it. We were hoping to avoid a mesh system again. 

our house is just under 5,000 sq ft and the modem/router is located around the middle of the house on the main level (our home is 3 levels with the basement). We are having difficulty getting good signals at the corners of the house. 

what is our best option for extending signal into the corners?  Do we have to do another mesh system?  Would this mean that we would have to use the bridge mode?  Or is there a way to extend the signal without completely bypassing the g54’s router?   We are not terribly tech savvy so any guidance and product suggestions would be appreciated. 

The “up to ****” with routers is always the maximum under ideal circumstances. I have a G54 and my home is 3200sqft. Its just enough for my home. For 5000sqft, thats a bit much. I’d go with a mesh system for the best coverage. 

If you can, I’d return the current G54 and go with a mesh system (tri or quad band one). 

If you can’t return it, then I’d add an extender. You’re a little caught because the G54 is the most advanced combo device right now with wifi 7. and there isn’t any wifi 7 extenders out yet. 

It is backwards compatible and you could use a wifi 6/6e extender with it. I’m not the hugest fan of extenders though as they tend to be less stable than decent mesh systems. 

I haven’t use any of the newer mesh systems from arris so I can’t attest to how stable/well they work. 

I do have a netgear RBK763 and RBE973 and both those are solid quad band systems. 

Maybe @SURFboard_Big_Kahuna or @SURFboard Moderator could help with the stability of the mesh systems. 

Thank you so much for this reply. It is very helpful. We are planning to downsize soon and I was trying to ‘future proof’ by getting the latest/greatest. Silly me. I think I will give the extender a shot since it is hopefully a temporary problem and I may be past the return date. Hopefully in a smaller home this will work better. 

thank you again. I really appreciate your insight/knowledge!!