Skip to main content
Solved

Devices not connecting to closest Satellite on max dash WC4S

• 22 May 2024
  • 5 replies

I have a SBG8300 connected to a WC4S router, with (2) satellites on separate levels. The top floor satellite is connected via ethernet to the main WC4S router. Why are devices that are right next to the satellite on the top floor connecting to the main router which is a full two floors below. It is creating a lot of instability in the system and the devices drop connection constantly. Why aren’t the devices connecting to the second satellite normally?

On the Surfboard Central app, I cant find out how to determine whether the wired backhaul is active or not. How can I find this information?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Have you enabled Bridge mode on SBG8300  before connecting WC4S or you are using both Wi-Fi from SBG8300 and WC4S?

When the satellite is connected to the main router using ethernet cable you can see that only under connected device list  on the surfboard central app it will not been shown on the app as added satellite of your app home page.

You can also try changing the place of satellite and move next to the router to check the connection on it for testing.

Badge

Bridge mode has been enabled on SBG8300. The satellite  is connected via Cat 6 Ethernet to the main router. The satellite is not showing up under the main router as a connected device for Ethernet. The datalink appears to be active as the LAN port it is connected to is illuminated green. Please review picture of surfboard central status of devices.

Please note in included photos: Satellite 1 is clearly shown as being connected wirelessly as a Satellite (circled). The main router shows no devices connected by Ethernet, per the Ethernet tab on main router screen (pictured), even though the data link appears to be active. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

When it comes to the mesh system, multiple routers connect with each other and forms a single network for seamless connection, so that even though the routers are hardwired it wont show as connected device. The main router identifies the satellite as it's own router and it forms one single network for wider area. Hence you won't be able to identify the satellites under connected devices.

Badge

Have you enabled Bridge mode on SBG8300  before connecting WC4S or you are using both Wi-Fi from SBG8300 and WC4S?

When the satellite is connected to the main router using ethernet cable you can see that only under connected device list  on the surfboard central app it will not been shown on the app as added satellite of your app home page.

You can also try changing the place of satellite and move next to the router to check the connection on it for testing.

If I’m understanding correctly, and I might not be, is there any conflict in the explanation that the above comment seems to say that a satellite connected to the main router by Ethernet would show under connected devices, and not as an added satellite? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I suggest you restart the setup for the second satellite by placing it next to the main router wirelessly, since it is not connected to the main router.

To explain wired backhaul, the wired backhaul connection is supported after the satellite is onboarded successfully over a Wi-Fi connection.  The satellite must be onboarded first over the Wi-Fi connection, then connect an Ethernet cable to any Ethernet port on the satellite and the other end of the Ethernet cable to a LAN Ethernet port of the main mAX router. 

For further information about adding satellite and wired backhaul, I have mentioned a link below. 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/mAX-WC4T-Add-Additional-mAX-Satellite