Solved

Adding third satellite for better wifi signal

• 7 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a home that was doubled in size a few years ago, 4000sqft total, with some exterior walls now interior,  I have had several mesh systems and purchased the w121 system for its 5000sq ft coverage, so far I barely get good signal in my outer rooms, doorbell cams, and cams outside, my question,  can I add a 3rd max pro router as the main and use my 2  max w121 as the mesh system? I know I can add a 3rd w21 to the system but was thinking if I got the better max pro as the main router, I may get some better service in the main room and get longer signals. Or should I just get a new system all together? I've had the Google mesh, Samsung mesh and some linksys (older gen) that I didn't have too much luck with. 

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 7 July 2023, 16:41

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Ryncody

Mesh WIFI works by using two or more devices or “nodes” to create a secure and strong WIFI network. So yes you can use 2  satellite and one main router connected to the modem to get better signal and range. Adding third router will definitely improve WIFI signal so this setup will work better.

Let us know if this helps.

Badge

I understand that, what I was asking is I have 2 white surfboard max mesh now, and I want to add a 3rd, can I use the max pro black as the main and use the white max as the 2 satellites? Or do I need to keep all 3 the same ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Ryncody,

Sorry we wont be able to connect Max Pro  with W121  Max Routers ., yes we need to keep all three in the category of W21 .