Solved

G36 2.5gb port will not connect through a switch

• 10 October 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I am trying to expand the single 2.5gb port on my G36 modem and not having any luck getting it 
connected to any devices when going through a multi-gigabyte switch.  I first tried the TP-Link 
switch (TL-SG105-M2) which has five 2.5gb ports, and that did not work so i shipped it back and ordered the QNAP switch (QSW-2104-2S) and that did not connect either.  It’s very basic troubleshooting, when any device is connected to the G36 2.5gb port directly there are no issues. 
But if i connect the G36 2.5gb port to switch and then try to connect devices to that, they do not connect.  Also, the 1gb ports on the G36 do not have an issue connecting to any devices either
directly or through the switch.  The connectivity issue only occurs with the G36 2.5gb port going 
through a multi-gb switch, such as the two i mentioned above.

Anyone else able to connect the G36 2.5gb port to a switch with 2.5gb ports, successfully?

QNAP has been great trying to help me troubleshoot but attempts to get Arris support involved
resulted in two hungup phone calls

icon

Best answer by plemans 11 October 2022, 04:40

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Wish I had one to test with :) I’ve ran a mutligig switch through my CAX80/Orbi 960 but never had an Arris one to try it with. They don’t get any connection at all? 

And the G36 is in modem/router mode? It hasn’t been put in bridge mode at all? 

@SURFboard_Moderator might be of more assistant as they might have access to that for testing. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

there is no connection at all. if you log into the G36 web browser menu you will not see the device
in the connected devices list. if you look at the devices network status it says “Not Connected”.

I dont know about Bridge Mode so i am guessing i never put it in that mode on purpose but i will
check that later. What does bridge mode do, and would it not also affect the 1gb ports too?

Thanks for responding….more to come.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

your other ports wouldn’t work in bridge mode. 

So you should be good. 

Again, I don’t have that router/modem so I’m not familar with all its in/outs or advice to give you. 

I would make sure to test it with good quality cat 5e or cat 6 cables. I’ve seen sketchy cat 5e cables cause issues. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

ok, all the other ports do work, and the 2.5gb port works when connected directly to any device such
as a laptop or PC.  All the same cables (CAT 6)were used for each testing scenario.