Solved

SBG10 Admin password not resetting - user locked out

• 16 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi, 

I have SBG10 modem/router, I lost the admin password as old version Web Manager App has been discontinued and new App SurfboardCentral has been installed. 

I tried to reset the SBG10 through manual process but since it is still assigned in the Web Manager App, password is not getting reset. 

I tried - 

• Reseting by taking the internet cable out
  • Reseting with 30-30-30 mode suggested in one of the discussion forum 

Neither of the method helped. 

Please advise. 

Thanks. 

icon

Best answer by Netopia 19 October 2023, 18:21

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Did you try using the reset button as documented in the following?

https://arris.my.salesforce-sites.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG10-Factory-Reset

Badge

Yes, I tried but since the modem is register in the WebManager App, it is not reseting the password. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Interesting. I have no experience with that particular device configured that way. However, if it is disconnected from the coax and you perform a factory reset, it would seem to me that there is no way for the SBG10 to revert back, as there is no connection to an external network. Therefore, perhaps you can go in to the SBG10 at that point via PC connected via ethernet and set it the way you want. After that, connect to the coax. I don’t know if the the password will revert at the point or not.

Userlevel 3
Badge +23

Disconnect the coaxial cable, this ensures any configurations pushed to the SBG10 by the ISP. 

With the SBG10 powered on, press the reset button (should feel a click) on the back of the SBG10 and hold it down for more than 20 seconds. Release the reset button after the LEDs blink and turn off.  You should see the default SSID indicating the unit reset.  If you don’t hold down the reset button long enough, it would perform a restart (reboot) and would not revert back to default settings.  Also if you don’t feel a click when pressing the reset button, it may be broken.  

If these methods fail, you might have paper weight.