Solved

Modem Name and Password for Arris Surfboard Model S33

• 12 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Got the S33 to replace my Xfinity modem. Had the internet switched to this modem. Xfinity saw the connection activated on their end, but I couldn’t see the WiFi name on my end. Tried to search for Admin and used both the serial number and “password” as the password. Neither worked. I was able to get Xfinity to activate the old router in the meantime. What should I do now? Any help is appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by cwilloz 12 November 2023, 19:42

View original

3 replies

Badge +2

If I read your post correctly, I think you may be misunderstanding things...the S33 is only a modem to connect to Xfinity, not a Wifi gateway/router. I suspect the Xfinity modem you had was both a modem and a wifi router. I  am pretty sure you need to get yourself a separate wifi router, connect it to the S33 and the do the installation according to the manufacturer’s instructions.  You will probably have to load an app from which either AppStore (apple/android) is appropriate.  If you are only supporting a single pc, then you could connect the PC to the S33 with an ethernet cable...wifi not needed in this case, but if you are supporting PC’s and cell phones, then you will need the wifi router.

Hope thishelps

Badge

Understood. I will have to return it then as I need a WiFi/gateway router.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Or just buy a router. Thats the route I’d go with. I prefer my modem separate from the router so I can upgrade them independently as well as then I control the firmware on the router. 

When its a combo device, the ISP manages the firmware and they’re notoriously bad at it.