Skip to main content
Solved

Arris Surfboard S33 not working

• 19 July 2024
  • 8 replies

Arris Surfboard(s) not working

Been using an Arris Surfboard S33 for a few months now and have had no issues until today.  

Came home from work and suddenly it seems like it’s bricked or something.  

All three LED (green, blue, amber) indicator lights are lit up, leaving a yellow-ish solid light that never changes or blinks. It’s completely unresponsive and I am unable to connect to the internet.  

The lower Ethernet port on the back has lights on while the top one does not. Plugging the Ethernet to the router into either one does nothing and neither does hardwiring my PC into either one.  

I know the pics shows the coax unplugged, but that was just to capture the lights easier.  Using a pin to reset the modem does nothing. Tried for 10/20/30sec and no dice.  

Title is plural because I went out and bought a second one thinking the original one was just faulty, but upon giving it power, it does the same exact thing.  

I never plugged the second one into coax so I don’t think it could be an ISP issue right? Also tried multiple different power outlets around the house, with the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m pulling my hair out at this problem.

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 1

Been using mine for a year no issue. Seems like docci 3.1 support not there anymore and no longer can get router to notice it. After 8 restarts it randomly worked by then I had to turn off everything a few days later and when I booted it up, issue came back. 

solid amber light, green light flashes every 10s. Tried plugging directly in but getting no signal. Only 1gb port lights up now

Same here, been using s33 for 1 year no issue. Today morning of July 22, 2024 Comcast had “outage” afterwards modem rebooted and cannot connect anymore.

Exactly as original poster described, my s33 has amber/green front LEDs (before today it was blue LEDs), and

2.5 GE port has no lights, only lower 1GE port has light.

Cannot get into the modem thru direct Ethernet. What gives?

where do we go from here?

Userlevel 1

another post mentioned the power supply was the issue (can be spotted by whining sound on boot). Left it at 1am last night frustrated and ordered a new modem. This morning internet was working again and came online at 1:55am. Same thing happened last time where I just left it alone over night and it was “fixed”. Holding breath until next time it goes down I guess

@Tcjelly  Thank you for the suggestion that fixed my issue! Was a bad power supply..

Had a spare 12V 1.5Amp DC power supply laying around from another router, plugged it into Arris S33 modem, it booted right away and LEDs turned to solid BLUE. 

Internet working fine..  Thank you!!

@JesseM06  suggest try another power supply, that may fix your issue. good luck!

Userlevel 1

@junkmail123 nice happy it worked for you! I wiggled mine a lot and have had it working for the day. Didn’t mention that previously so wanted to add it for posterity

Badge

@Tcjelly confirmed, the power supply was my problem as well 🙏

Created an account just so I could say “thank you” for this posting. Exact same symptoms as original poster. I still had my old Arris modem and used the power supply/cord from that and it fired right up. Still in warranty so I called and have a replacement one on the way.

Badge

Yes. Power Supply 12v 1.5A 5.5mm/2.5mm  + middle - outside plug is most likely problem. Fixed mine.