Skip to main content
Solved

Facing Apple iCloud Private Relay Issue

• 4 June 2023
  • 2 replies

Since replacing my Comcast Xfinity provided Modem Gateway with an Arris S33, I have been receiving alert notifications on my iPhone that my wifi network 5Ghz is “not compatible with iCloud Private Relay”. This only happens when I’ve rebooted my iPhone.  I don’t get this message at all on my Mac mini M2 or MacBook Air M1.

It’s a bit confusing because when I tap “Use Other Network” it dismisses the notification and I’m still connected to my wifi network and Private Relay is on, and my internet connection appears to work fine.

Has anyone else experienced this that can help explain?

Hello mistergsf

Your router might be telling your Apple device that it won't allow Private Relay traffic because it can't evaluate it, for QoS or Family Security. If you're an iCloud+ subscriber you can enable Private Relay in iCloud Settings on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac on iOS15, iPadOS15, or macOS Monterey. Since S33 is just a cable modem and your facing this issue on Wi-Fi connected device we would suggest you to check with your router manufacturer for more details.

let us know if this helps.

Hello mistergsf

Your router might be telling your Apple device that it won't allow Private Relay traffic because it can't evaluate it, for QoS or Family Security. If you're an iCloud+ subscriber you can enable Private Relay in iCloud Settings on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac on iOS15, iPadOS15, or macOS Monterey. Since S33 is just a cable modem and your facing this issue on Wi-Fi connected device we would suggest you to check with your router manufacturer for more details.

let us know if this helps.

I’m an IT guy and everything you’ve stated makes sense, but the reason I’ve posted anyway is because I’m using the same wifi router I was using with the Xfinity Gateway.  I have an Amplify Alien Mesh Wi-Fi router.  I’ve had it almost 3 years now without issues and it definitely is compatible with Private Relay.  I’ve only started receiving the notification since I replaced the Xfinity Gateway with the S33.  It’s the only change made to my network.  Like I said, the message pops up but after it’s dismissed, wifi works on my iPhone perfectly fine with Private Relay turned on.