Skip to main content
Solved

S33 unable to activate

• 12 September 2023
  • 7 replies

I recently bought an S33 earlier this month (link). But I am unable to get it activated through Xfinity despite numerous phone calls and having a tech out to my home. They were confident that the modem was bad. Is there any way to tell if this is true? I took some screen shots from the Web UI.

(edit: Images containing serial number and MAC addresses removed by the moderator)

Is there anything listed here that would indicate if the modem is bad? Or is the ISP at fault?

Thank you!

I think there is some confusion. If the device had not been activated, then the startup procedure section would normally not look like that. You would see “Failed” , probably on the Security step. Since that step completed, and the DOCSIS Network Access Enabled says allowed, you should be connected. Your signals look good, and the corrected errors, as well as the event log, make it clear that you are communicating with the CMTS (cable modem termination system). What precisely is not working? Have you tried plugging your laptop/pc directly into the S33 via ethernet, rebooting, and seeing if you can connect to internet (and or ping 8.8.8.8)? What are you using for a router, and have you restarted both the modem and the router since initial connection? Perhaps the router and modem just haven’t established a proper session yet.

I think there is some confusion. If the device had not been activated, then the startup procedure section would normally not look like that. You would see “Failed” , probably on the Security step. Since that step completed, and the DOCSIS Network Access Enabled says allowed, you should be connected.

Okay so it sounds like my modem is in fact activated? I know going through the activation process with Xfinity it seems to time out and says that it can’t find my modem. 

Your signals look good, and the corrected errors, as well as the event log, make it clear that you are communicating with the CMTS (cable modem termination system). What precisely is not working? Have you tried plugging your laptop/pc directly into the S33 via ethernet, rebooting, and seeing if you can connect to internet (and or ping 8.8.8.8)? What are you using for a router, and have you restarted both the modem and the router since initial connection? Perhaps the router and modem just haven’t established a proper session yet

So I am just trying to connect to the internet but am not having luck doing so. I have my PC plugged straight into the modem. I know the Ethernet cable I have works with the old modem so I would think it works with this one too. Do I need to use a router?

Following your advice I pinged 8.8.8.8 and got the following:

Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
PING: transmit failed. General failure.

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Restarting everything does not seem to resolve this issue

Getting in a little over my head here. I suggest trying a tracert 8.8.8.8 and see if you can tell how far things are going before dying. Additionally, does your ISP have a website that shows status? For instance, Cox has something like the following. Does it show your device? Can you do an ISP end reset.

Thank you for your help so far.

I did tracert 8.8.8.8. It returned an error 1231. Google searching tells me that it means there is an unreachable IPv6 node error. I’m not entirely sure what that means. Maybe you do?

Looking into resetting through the ISP. I can see my modem listed but it appears offline. Perhaps due to the error code? Forcing a reset tells me that my modem cannot be reached.

I’m at a loss. Perhaps it’s a setting on my computer? Is there something wrong with the cable lines?

Looks like the S33 is connected to Xfinity’s network.  I suggest you try to activate the modem with Xfinity app.  https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-app-activation

Make sure you disconnect coaxial cable from the previous modem, and only connect one device to the S33.  

I’d start with what Netopia said. If that doesn’t work, get Xfinity on the line. They should be able to “see” the modem, because you certainly have a connection. It may not be provisioned correctly.

For some closer to this thread, I ended up buying an SB8200. This worked on the first try I activated it.

Either the S33 was broken or something within Xfinity was stopping it from working. Wish we knew the answer why this didn’t work. But I guess sometimes the answer is that its just not meant to be.

Thank you all for the help.