Question

Cant reach 192.168.100.1 even with direct connect and reboot - SB8200

• 16 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi,  I just upgraded from an SB6120 to the SB8200. All seems well, except I cannot reach the configuration/status page at 192.168.100.1 (It returns “This site can’t be reached” after a timeout) . I can reach my router at 192.168.1.1 in the new configuration (modems swapped),  and access to 192.168.100.1 worked fine before to the older SB6120 when connecting through my router. But the SB8200 refuses to connect, even when I go the extra mile by directly connecting it to my computer and power-cycle the modem. (Which is obviously a terrible workaround, but I tried it)

With direct connection from computer to modem, I can use the internet after I reboot the modem, so the computer and modem are talking. But still I cannot reach 192.168.100.1 to look at the Dashboard/etc in the modem :-( 

Is there anything that my internet provider might have done during setup to lock me out (I didn’t try it before swapping the modem with the IP). Is that possible?  And why did the old SB6120 connect perfectly fine, even through the router, but the SB8200 won’t? I made no other changes.

Of course the main question is how can I get it to work?  I don’t want to do a factory reset, because the internet connection is working and I don’t want to lose that. But without an interface to the modem signal levels / etc, it seems like really a downgrade from the SB6120 - other than speed. I thought this was a tried and true product…

Thanks !

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Performing hard reset on the modem will not affect the internet or the activation part on the modem so since you have tried using different web browser and clearing the browsing history we would suggest you to try on direct connection after resetting modem. please, disconnect the coaxial cable from the back of the device? At the back of the modem, in the middle section you will see a small hole, inside that hole there is a button, and that is the reset button, please insert a paper clip or a tip of a pen and hold it for 15-30 seconds until all your lights go off, afterwards connect the coax cable back and wait until your device fully boots up. Then try accessing interface if still same issue persist please reach out to Arris.com/consumersupport if the modem is under warranty.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Web-Manager-Access

Badge

Thanks for the reply and information and the link. I did the procedure you described (including the reset) and after a few tries, I was able to eventually login and change the password. Yea :-)

Getting access to the Status information however is still very problematic. Connecting to the cable appears to kick me off of 192.168.100.1 very quickly.  After about a half dozen more tries, I determined that if I was fast enough, I could capture one status screen - but I don’t think it was fully filled out. It showed me bonded to just about every QAM channel, plus both OFDM ones in the downlink (my plan does not include 1Gbps). Similar for the uplink. All power powers look reasonable. Perhaps it would eventually look better (e.g. only show the OFDM channels actually in use, and not show Not Ready for connectivity state), but I only got one try before it would not respond again. It also shows Security Failed BPI+ . I don’t know what that means or if it is spurious and would correct itself with more time - but it is not possible to look at it due to getting kicked off after about 30 seconds after the cable is connected and the front panel lights stabilize to all on.  I’m guessing maybe as soon as it actually gets full connection to the internet, then the Status info would look better - but I can’t see it - because it boots me off.

On the plus side, I’m back up and running normally after this adventure. Thanks for the help. I hope someone will get Arris to work on this interface. I’ll follow up with consumersupport as you suggested.

Thanks again for the quick reply and help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since you are unable to access the GUI web portal, you can try to access through incognito site.

Try to access the GUI web portal without co-axial cable.

If you are trying to access the modem through router, that might block the modem’s interface so try to access the web portal through direct connection.

If all the above points doesn’t work then there is only option is factory reset.

Factory reset doesn't change any settings on the modem since there is no additional configuration on it.

Badge

Thank you. Based on an earlier moderator reply, I actually did the reset. It reset, but no change in the behavior. I also tried with direct connect and no cable (after a power-cycle). That got me in, but when I connected the cable (so I could see signal levels and channel/modulation information), it kicked me off immediately. Presumably because something in the modem programming finds it safer maybe, or is an oversight/bug in the 8200 firmware design ??  Anyway it was not possible to get the status information I was seeking because the cable needs to be connected to lock-up to the channels.

In the mean time, I ran across this page that seems to offer a possible solution involving manually setting the host PC IP address and using the second port on the SB8200. I will probably try it at some point. I will make sure I can get back to DHCP settings before I attempt it…  General FAQs: Workaround: Accessing the Cable Modem Status Page (salesforce-sites.com)