Question

SB8200 Failed FW update Xfinity

• 27 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hi, I recently bought a second hand SB8200 and went to the events log at the web interface and noticed there's a constant 'FW update initiated' followed by a 'FW update failed due to incompatibility' every time I either reset the modem or every few hours or so. I'm aware I'm way behind in FW updates and that my ISP is supposed to update it, but for some reason it can't or it won't take it. I've talked with Xfinity agent through both their app and Reddit, the first telling me that they couldn't see the modem as online and the latter saying that the update Arris provided to them is not good and that this modem has a lot of problems with many ISPs so they couldn't do anything until Arris fixed it. I'm trying to get it updated cause from time to time I lose internet connection and apparently it's because it's trying to update itself but because it doesn't work, it resets briefly, enough to ruin games or streaming, and sometimes connection slows down permanently, needing a modem reset. I hope you can help me

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS (sb8200), because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer. Even for the device owned by the customer only service provider can send updates to the modem when its required. There is no manual update on the modem can be done by the user.

Rebooting, slow speed, intermittent connection or no internet access occurs usually out of cable signal level, out of acceptable range and it will be resolved after the power level are adjusted by the service provider. So for this we need to check the cable signal level to confirm what causing this issue to proceed further.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Levels