Skip to main content

Have a wireless router (Eero) connected to port 1 on SB8200. Works fine. But when I try to connect my laptop (or an unmanaged switch) to port 2, it doesn’t work.

I’ve read all of the stuff about how your “ISP only provides you with one IP, blah, blah”. But I called Xfinity and they said anytime you plug something into the modem it automatically assigns it an IP, and everything should be working. 

The Eero wireless router has a second port, and if I plug my switch into that, everything works fine (AppleTV, laptop, etc.) The obvious response is, “then why don’t you just do that?” and the answer is because I don’t want to use wifi when I don’t have to. I have that router on a timer set to shut off when I sleep, and I want to keep it that way.

This is the situation, even though you have 2 Ethernet ports on the back of the modem, you will be able to connect one device at the time and the reason why it's because the modem is getting just 1 valid ip address If you want to use both ports at the same time you will need to contact your ISP and request a secondary IP Address

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Link-Aggregation-Setup

The above-mentioned option is for the cable modem (sb8200),

In order to proceed further to connect either the laptop or unmanaged switch you can try connecting it directly to the Wireless Eero Router.