Question

SB8200 - Not responding to 192.168.100.1

• 30 October 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

My laptop is directly connected to an SB8200 that is up and running on my ISP(Cox).  I can access the modem via cell phone app, but I cannot access via PC.  When I browse to 192.168.100.1, there is no response.  I can browse the internet, so the modem is active and working. The phone app does not provide access to settings (bridge mode).  The IPCONFIG (commandline) lists a gateway IP that does not respond.  I’ve tried a lot of other typical modem IPs - nothing enables access to sign into the modem. 

We have tried numerous ways to sign in, so please do not suggest the methods described in the manual - BEEN THERE - DONE THAT - IT DOESN’T WORK.  

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Workaround: Accessing the Cable Modem Status Page | Community (surfboard.com)

Badge

Thank you for your suggestion. This was one of the methods I tried this a day or two ago with no success.  

Appreciate the help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

do you have a router connected to the SB8200? 
Its got 2x ports but most ISP’s only support 1 public ip addrss. 

Badge

Leaving the router out of the picture, I connected to the modem directly with PC and it would not respond to any IP.  It would not respond to the IPCONFIG gateway IP.  It does connect to the internet, so it is live.

With the above experience, I saw no possible benefit to reconfiguring the router, but I tried it anyway.  When the router was connected and reconfigured to a higher IP,  the modem would not respond to 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.1.1.  I reset the modem to factory (more than once) and it will respond to the smart phone app(not access to setting), but there is no browsing via a PC connection. 

Might the smart phone app automatically disable direct access?

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

do you have more than 1 device connected to the sb8200. Again, it has 2x ethernet ports but only 1 device is supported by most ISP’s at one time. 

If you do, disconnect everything from the modem, power it off, give it a couple minutes and power it back on. Then try connecting a device to port 1

Badge

There is only one(1) device connected to the modem - the PC.  Nothing in the 2nd port(aggregation not enabled).  One(1) device - the PC.  

My prior statements reflect what I tried BEFORE the initial posting.  

To repeat - I have tried numerous ways to sign in, so please do not suggest the methods described in the manual AND online. I have tried them ALL - NONE WORK.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

so if you’ve tried “them all”. What do you expect from this? 

Badge

I appreciate your suggestions. I expect something that cannot be found with a routine search or is in the manual.  BEEN THERE - DONE THAT.  I am not a lazy end user.

I need something above and beyond standard support for a unit that does not respond as documented.

Someone’s experience that is not formally documented by the manufacturer.  I have already spent more hours on this then I care to recall trying all the manufacturer’s methods.  Would using a Linux based PC be useful? I resolve Window PCs infections this way, but not with this modem.  Is a crossover cable needed?  Is there an undocumented command?  Is there a backdoor?  Will holding the reset while powering on provide access to other methods?  Can I access the unit’s program code and adjust settings?  Holding the reset for 2, 3, 5 minutes produce something different? 

That’s what I expect.  I see ‘community’ as a manufacturer’s abandonment of support obligations.

I appreciate your prompt replies and suggestions. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

We understand that you are unable to access the  GUI Page which is 192.168.100.1 of the cable modem sb8200 , did you try with different browsers? without co-axial cable ?

Try doing a Reset without a co-axial cable and try again. If you still facing a problem contact arris.com/consumersupport for further assistance.

For Reset follow the below link: 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Factory-Reset