Skip to main content
Solved

Should the RECEIVE led light ideally always be blue or is it normal to sometimes be green?

• 4 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Should the RECEIVE led light ideally always be blue or is it normal to sometimes be green? Sometimes it changes to green meaning it’s in DOCSIS 3.0, and stays there until i power cycle the modem. Is this less than ideal? Does this indicate a problem with the coaxial line

Tends to indicate an issue. If you have docsis 3.1 in your area, it should be blue. It only drops to green when the docsis 3.1 goes down and it reverts to docsis 3.0. 

Do you have a screen snip of the cable connections page and event logs?

I failed to mention I had my coax cable hooked up to a surge protector on a power strip. I'm going to bypass that and hook up straight to my modem and see how it goes. I think the surge protector is causing the issue.

Sorry. I failed to mention that I had my coax hooked up to a surge protector. I removed that and it’s straight to the modem now and the RECEIVE led is staying blue now. The surge protector was causing the issue.

Glad it was something simple! Hope it stays working well for you

A follow up question -  What would cause docsis 3.1 to go down?  Is this due to a problem originating from the ISP?  A few days ago the RECEIVE light on my SB8200 periodically started changing from blue to green and back again.  Yesterday it stayed green until I turned the modem on/off.  Now it is blue again. Speed is still the same either way.

Many things can cause it to drop between the 2. 

Tends to be (again) be line issues causing problems. 

but tough to diagnose without the cable connections page and event logs. Those help check the line.