Solved

Arris Surfboard SBG8300 2Ghz connection issue

• 27 May 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Every time I need to connect a home device to the 2G connection it is a frustrating experience.  Most of the time I have to keep trying over a period of days and then finally it connects  -- and thankfully -- stays connected and reconnects following power outages just fine.  BUT I can’t go on like this having to repeat this process when a device needs to be reset.

Here’s what I have discovered with my Orbit Sprinkler Control WIFI Hub:

Connecting to 2G band, on entering Surfboard WIFI information, app just spins forever.  Never connects.

Enable Hotspot on my phone, on entering WIFI information, app connects immediately. 

Enable guest network on Surfboard, on entering WIFI information, app just spins forever.

Enable guest network on Surfboard, on entering WIFI information with on-purpose bad password, connection refused in a couple seconds.

Enable guest network on Surfboard, disable authentication completely, on entering WIFI information app connects immediately.

So … what’s the problem with the WPA2AES auth function on the 2G band?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 20 June 2023, 17:33

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

how many 2.4ghz devices do you have connected? 

Any special characters/spaces in the ssid/password? Some IoT devices have issues with those. 

Badge

I have about 10 2G devices, most of them fire alarms.

No special characters or spaces.  None in the password either.

In any case, it can’t be the device because the device connects right away when authorization is turned of and connects right away to my iphone hotspot when authorization is turned on.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

have you tried changing to a different wireless channel? maybe there’s interference

Badge

I haven’t but why would that only make a difference when authorization is involved?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello elliottm346,

Yes you’re right authorization is to connect to the WiFi network , there could be various reasons like Wi-Fi congestion/over crowding in the surroundings , so try changing the WiFi channels with help of  WiFi Spectrum Analyzer Data.

Follow the below link for the same :

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG8300-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel