Question

How do I use an SBG8300 as a router only?

• 12 June 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge

Hello. I have spectrum internet rated at 300 Mbps upload and download, “symmetrical speeds” as they would say. The SBG8300 is on their list of compatible consumer-owned equipment. My equipment includes a SBG8300 that I own, and a modem (not currently plugged in) supplied by Spectrum. When just using the Spectrum modem, hard-wired to a gaming PC, speed tests show the provisioned download and upload speeds of ~300 Mbps.

1. I currently have the SBG8300 setup connected to the DF cable, and an Ethernet cord connected between the SBG8300 and a gaming PC. Speed test shows 362 Mbps download and 11.01 Mbps upload, and was done from the hard-wired PC. WiFi connections to cellphones, Xbox, are a bit spotty, and I’m sometimes having issues with connectivity in online games on the PC.

Spectrum techs have told me that the SBG8300 is not rated for “symmetrical speeds.” Is that true? It seems true… what could possibly be wrong here?

2. To avoid utilizing Spectrum’s subscription based Router offering, and considering the possibility the SBG8300 is not rated for the speeds I’m provisioned by Spectrum, I would like the ability to simply use the SBG8300 as a router only. That may be wishful thinking, as I’m genuinely worried the SBG8300 can’t handle the speeds I’m provisioned regardless of its setup as modem/router or just a router. I have tried this already, and could use some advice.

So far, I have used the arris gateway menu to set Ethernet port 4 of the SBG8300 to “WAN over Ethernet.” Reset the SbG8300. Plugged the Spectrum modem into the DF cable, powered, connected, and jacked an Ethernet cable between the modem and the port 4 of the SBG8300. The SBG8300 is directly connected to the PC, as well. A speed test from the PC showed a fraction of my provisioned speeds, ~68 Mbps, and a similarly low upload as just using the SBG8300 as a router/modem that I described earlier. However WiFi was working. I then reset both the spectrum modem and the SBG8300, and the WiFi connectability halted completely, and the speed test from the PC showed the max provisioned speeds from when I just use the Spectrum modem.

If there is a complete guide to using a SBG8300 as a router only I would love to know, because at current it seems the SBG8300 is a jack of all trades, master of none scenario. There is likely some user error going on here as well, but man, this shouldn’t be so hard.

Somebody please help me understand all this, I’d appreciate it. I can afford that 7 dollar a month router sub from spectrum but why would I have to use that or even their modem if I have a “compatible” customer owned modem/router in the SBG8300.

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

In this case you can try the follwing steps 

Connect Spectrum modem to the cable line and use the ethernet cable from the spectrum LAN port to SBG8300 LAN port4 and follow the steps mentioned on the below article.

After completing setup on the Arris GUI restart or powercycle the modem and router for a minute.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG8300-Wi-Fi-Router-Mode