Skip to main content
Solved

Intermittent / no connection

I bought an 8300 so I could turn in our Comcast rental wifi modem. I selected the 8300 in part because it advertised the highest square foot coverage. We have a basic Xfinity plan - 75 Mb, and that has always been plenty (It was plenty for us at 25 and 50, back in the days when those were the basic plan data rates)

The 8300 has so far been much less reliable, especially for my older Win7 laptop, which won’t connect at all despite 3 bars and 30 foot distance - almost line of sight location...my laptop connects only to our extender for the kids rooms down a hall, and that only intermittently. 

Out of curiosity I tried configuring the 8300’s guest network for 2.4G - still no joy.

I turned on WiFi band steering and that somewhat helped, allowing me to connect but still only via the extender.

Ideas anyone?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Does the laptop only have 2.4ghz?

2.4ghz is sensitive to interference. 

You could try a different channel on the 2.4ghz to see if there’s less interference. 

Badge

The 10 year old laptop probably only supports 2.4 gHz. I changed the mode from g/n to b/g/n and worked my way thru channels “auto” then 1,2,3,4,5,6…

At the moment it’s working with b/g/n and channel 6

TY for your help!

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Glad it helps!

Some laptops you can upgrade the wireless card to one that supports dual band. 

Badge

So far it has been solid on 2.4 with the channel change, and the beast is so old I hate to sink $ into it.

TY

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Just means less worry about breaking it if you do :)

older dual band cards can be picked up for really cheap on fleabay and work well.