Question

Wired client list for the 6E access point???

• 21 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

Why does the newer 6E access point show a list of wired clients?  I get wireless clients. Wired? There’s no wired clients attached to it. The LAN port is to connect to a router, etc. 

Seeing a list of wireless clients has value.  Seeing a list of wired clients is useless.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Are you talking the W6U?

I don’t have one but it has an ethernet port. It wouldn’t be the first device that had a switch connected to it and several different hardwired devices connected. Still need to be able to see their IP addresses

Badge

Its ethernet port is to connect it to a network that is connected to the internet. Its not for hanging wired clients off of.

The wired client list does nothing. Serves no purpose for the W6U. Wired client list in my router? You bet. Not with a 6E access point. It has no wired clients. Could stretch the definition of client a bit and consider the router to which the W6U is connected a “client”. But that’s not the typical “client” definition.

I have more than one access point. This one is the only one that gives me a list of wired clients that are connected NOT through the AP.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

sorry, you didn’t say if that was your model or not. 

could be a bleed over from the W6B UI as they look like pretty much the same hardware and you can hardwire devices to that. 

Badge

I agree.  Code is sitting there as a starting point for multiple appliances. Just needs to be remarked out so it doesn’t run. The opposite is probably true for a static IP assignment.  Code is there, its so very common, but its probably remarked out so it doesn’t run.

No need to apologize by the way.

I’m still up in the air about keeping this thing. 6E performs well but is it that much better than 5ghz? Gotta use it some more to decide. My dual band Asus AX86U performs so very well and fast that I don’t know if an end user would even tell they were using 5.8ghz on the router or 6ghz on the AP.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’ve now got a set of the W6B’s and its shows all my connected  devices that are connected to my router as well. Not just the devices connected to the w6b. Must just be doing an entire network scan for some reason. Not the best way to do it.