Solved

SVG2482AC Guest network

• 14 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I just got an SVG2482AC modem/router in order to activate my Xfinity telephone service.  While setting it up, it appears to NOT have the ability for Guest Networks.  Very surprising since my older Arris Surfboard SBG7580AC DOES have a Guest Network feature, but can’t do telephone.

My questions are:  Is creating Guest Networks even possible on the SVG2482? - I would like to have one each for both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.

If not, how might I configure the old SBG7580 to re-purpose it to be a WiFi extender (or access point?) and use it strictly for a Guest Network?  It would connect to the new SVG2482AC via wired ethernet.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 17 October 2023, 20:50

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello proton777

SVG2482AC doesn't have option to create guest network and there is no specific configuration on the modem can be one to setup Guest network on the modem. SBG7580AC is a gateway which is the combination of modem and router so you can only enable bridge modem to use it as cable modem only but not possible to using SBG7580AC as WIFI router or extenders. So if your really need to have guest network you need to add separate router to the modem like mesh system to SVG2482AC.

Badge

Thanks for that.  Too bad that “upgrading” my device resulted in having fewer features.

After a bit more research, it seems like I can put the SVG2482 into Bridge Mode and connect my old router downstream of that to be the sole router. It has the guest network feature on both bands.