Skip to main content
Question

SBG7580 Modem Upload Speed Tanked, Router Speed Fine. Help?

Combo modem/router. I use ethernet cable for my desktop. Started having problems with websites, especially those where I am uploading or sending info, bogs down and times out. Standard speeds from ISP are 600mbps download and 12mbps upload. Now I am getting far less than 1mbps upload.

I recycled, rebooted, ran scans, etc. As part of my troubleshoot I disconnected the ethernet from the modem and connected via Wi-Fi and that solved my upload speed issue immediately, websites working fine now, BUT it cut my download speed in half.

Does this indicate an issue with the modem? No firmware updates offered. Out of warranty. Any help or ideas appreciated!

Its only that 1 device with issues? Have you tested any other hardwired device?

Its only that 1 device with issues? Have you tested any other hardwired device?

Thanks. My desktop is the only device I use hardwired to the modem. All other devices are wi-fi. As soon as I switched the desktop from ethernet modem to wifi router the upload speed on the desktop was restored and the web issues went away. 

I can try another device via ethernet if needed.

Since its work fine wireless, did you try hardwiring it back in to see if it still had issues?

If it does, try a different device just to see if its an issue specific to that device or if its all wired devices. 

If not, maybe it was a fluke. 

Went back to ethernet cable and all the issues immediately returned.

I’ll plug another device in tomorrow and see how that goes.

Let me know if the other device has issues 

So I finally plugged in another device and the upload speed was great and everything seemed to work fine. I guess I wasted two hours dealing with my ISP and it doesn’t look like a modem issue either. Unless you have any ideas what it might be or how to diagnose, I guess I’ll try the folks at Dell and see what they can do. Thanks for your help!

What device (with details) is having issues? Specs on it

What device (with details) is having issues? Specs on it

Dell desktop XPS8930 i9 32gb RAM Windows 10 Home v22H2 512gb SSD + 2TB HD

got a cheap usb/ethernet adapter around you could connect to the PC to see if its a port issue?

I don’t have one but can get one on Amazon for $10. If there was a problem with my PC ethernet port, wouldn’t it not work at all, rather than work great for download but throttle upload speed?

My modem also has 4 ports. I tried all and had the same issue.

I’m not saying 100% its a port problem but it could be a driver/hardware issue with the port. The potential is always there and when only 1 device has the issue, we tend to look at that device versus the router. 

How would I go about updating the driver for the ethernet port on the PC?

usually you look up what ethernet adapter you have and download the driver from the manufacturer. Then you uninstall the current one and reinstall the one you downloaded.