Skip to main content

I have G34 since last July and internet connection stopped working multiple times. There is no issue with Comcast both times since I could use my other gateway and it worked fine. The only way I could get to work was to reset to the factory defaults which is cumbersome. It is under warranty, and I want to get a warranty replacement but unable to find steps to get a replacement. 

Hey goterrapin, 

Are you still having issues with your G34? I know I’m a little late to the party, but had some thoughts. When the connection dropped, did it affect both your wired and wireless devices? 

What were the LED on the front doing with the connection dropped? 

If just the wireless dropped, or if your not sure about the connection on wired clients but the  LED on the front stayed blue when the drop occurred, the issue could have been a wireless interference issue. The factory reset that you did what have forced the gateway to scan for a new, less crowed channel to connect to. 

Do you by chance know what your signal levels are? 

If the drop was both wired and wireless, or if the LED started cycling, it could have been caused by poor signal levels on the lines coming into your home or the lines inside your home. The thing with the signal levels, at least as far as I know, your service provider isn’t able to see what the signal levels are at the point of your modem/gateway remotely. So if you call them they will say that the signal that they are sending is good, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that by the time those levels reach your house, or gateway are still good. The signal levels should be with in these ranges for each channel for a good stable connection:

Downstream power: -15 dBmV to +15 dBmV

SNR: 30 or higher

Upstream power: 45 to 51-55

If your signal levels are close to any of these ranges, that can cause drops. The only way to fix this is by checking the coax cables in your home for any damaged cables, loose connections anywhere or replace/reduce splitters in the home. If all of that checks out, a tech from your ISP would need to go out and check the lines coming into your home for similar issues. Most techs will even help you check the lines in your home, at least the techs where I’m at do.