Question

G54 - Slow speed internet connection

Badge

My brand new Arris 54 is unable to maintain 2Gbps speeds on Xfinity residential 2Gbs service.  If I reboot the G54, I’ll get excellent 2Gbps speeds of 2200-2300 speeds, but very soon after that I can only erratic speeds from 200-1200Gbps.  Using Comcast’s modem, I consistently got 2200-2300 Gbps download speeds.  What’s wrong with the Arris G54 

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

In this case to check and isolate the issue could you please help us with the download and upload of your speed plan.

Who is your internet service provider?

Do you see any speed plan name mentioned on the internet bill sent the service provider.

Slow speed issue happening only on wifi network or even with direct connection?

Badge

I supplied that info in my first post above.  It’s Xfinity’s residential 2GB (2000 Gbps) service.  I am using a wired ethernet connection.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since you are experiencing slow speed on a wired connection, I suggest checking the cable signals to make sure they are all in range.

To check the signals, find the link given below:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/G54-Cable-Signal-Levels

Badge

Well, I have now discovered that the Arris G54 may not be solely responsible for the erratic & slow speeds, if at all.  I switched to a Comcast modem that experiences the same issues.  After many, many hours of trying to isolate the problem, it now appears that Mozilla’s Firefox and Thunderbird may be the main or sole culprits.  I’m able to get my 2+GB speeds when using Chrome or Edge, but when I use  Firefox or Thunderbird, I get drastically lower speeds hovering around 500Mbps.  Not sure yet what is Mozilla’s problem, but they certainly have one!