Skip to main content

I am using Frontier fiber for internet service.  I have (2) Surfboard Max W31for a mesh setup.  I prefer more control over my network and would like to see logs and some more advanced setup “Gaming”, Streaming etc from a modem/router. I purchased the S33 but does not have any features after hooking it up.  What suggestions do you have for a modem that will give me more configuration capabilities?

I’m struggling to offer a helpful suggestion. It sounds like what you really want is a stand alone modem and a gaming oriented router that supports mesh and certain specific features. Not exactly my strong suit. Will you be on Wi-Fi or wired when gaming? What kind of speeds are you looking for. Will 2 devices cover your whole residence. Are you just looking at prioritizing traffic for certain devices, or other features as well. What kind of logs details are you looking for?

There really isn’t any configuration data from modems. They don’t prioritize anything. 

That’d all be router related for QOS services. 

And above a certain speed tier, there isn’t a whole lot of benefit even with gaming routers. 

Your best benefit is to hardwiring whatever you’re gaming on.