Question

Update firmware for Arris SBG6580-G228?

• 14 April 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hello, I am having intermittent wifi connectivity problems with my iphone 14 Pro. It will connect at times, and then a few hours later will disconnect on it’s own, and it’s not related to where I am in the house. When it disconnects, there is no way to reconnect it, by forgetting the network, nor restarting phone. A few hours later, it will come back on on its’ own. This issue has survived a reset of network settings, and a reset of the phone to factory settings as well. No other device on the same wifi network is having any issues with connectivity. I called Apple and they said I need to update the modem/router firmware. I looked on the webpage settings for the modem/router, and it tells what the firmware is, but there is no option to update it. Does anyone know what the problem could be or is there some type of update to the firmware?

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello galactic25

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS SBG6580, because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer.

Since all the other devices are connected to modem Wi-Fi and working fine only particular device is not getting connected and having intermittent connection issue in this case we would suggest you to customize the Wi-Fi network and use it and you can also try changing Wi-Fi channel to fix this because,  If other Wi-Fi sources such as neighboring wireless access points are using the same wireless channel, this may cause intermittent connectivity issues, even if the competing signal is relatively weak. Changing the wireless channel within the  gateway can improve connectivity. please follow the steps mentioned on link below and monitor connection for next 24hrs. 

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG6580-v8-5-x-Changing-the-Wireless-Channel

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The SBG6580 is a pretty old base model device from 2010. 

Its only N600 and docsis 3.0 with a 8x4 modem. 

Not sure who your isp is but it might be time for an upgrade as most are requiring better internal modems than 8x4 modems anymore. 

It might be time to call it as that device is going on 13 years old. 

I’d look for something docsis 3.1 compatible.