Solved

Which DOCSIS 3.1 modem/router for wifi off but ethernet on? SBG8300?

• 2 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I can’t run wifi here and need wifi turned off. I was looking at the SBG8300 and see that wifi can be disabled. The description says that it includes a wifi router though. So, if I have wifi off, will it still support routing for wired ethernet devices like PCs?

If so, how many wired devices can it support (I have a 12 port switch I will connect it to)?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Networkingfordummies 3 October 2023, 01:00

View original

3 replies

Badge +1

Yep you can enable brigde mode and the unit will shut down the router portion, I suspect that since the router is off the unit will work just as a modem therefore it will broadcast only IP address and it might cause a conflict if you connect a switch. You can give it a shot but other thing that you can is just to turn off wifi O mean just like hiding it and keeping the functionalities of the router without wireless, when you are about to change wifi names and password there is an option to disable the wireless bands 

Badge

Yep you can enable brigde mode and the unit will shut down the router portion, I suspect that since the router is off the unit will work just as a modem therefore it will broadcast only IP address and it might cause a conflict if you connect a switch. You can give it a shot but other thing that you can is just to turn off wifi O mean just like hiding it and keeping the functionalities of the router without wireless, when you are about to change wifi names and password there is an option to disable the wireless bands 

Thank you.

I need the router function so machines on the network can see each other. Can you explain further what wifi O means?

Badge +1

Thank you.

I need the router function so machines on the network can see each other. Can you explain further what wifi O means?

I'm so sorry that's a typo! Wifi O is not a thing lol