Question

Which model

• 18 March 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I just came back to Xfinity. Which model recommended for wifi modem w/router. Also I use VOIP for my landline.  I had an old Surfboard with two ports I plugged in my two vonage lines, one for voice the other fax. 
Will any of the surfboard models with model-router combo accept these inputs or does it have to be a voice model?

Thank you.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Louiseagle,

We would recommend you to purchase SVG2482AC which is more compatible for landline and Wi-Fi and supported by Xfinity.

Please browse our shop.surfboard.com for further reference .

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’d actually recommend moving to a modem that is separate from the router. 

Reason why is Xfinity has been moving to requiring docsis 3.1 for more and more of their speed tiers. And I don’t see any docsis 3.1 modem/router combo devices from arris currently. (maybe there is but I didn’t see much). 

It’d stink to buy a new device and find out a couple months later that xfinity doesn’t support your speed tier on it. 

Versus you can get something like the T25 that is a docsis 3.1 modem with voice that’d be good to up to gigabit speeds. then you just add a router to it. Plus then you control the firmware on the router so you get more frequent updates and you also tend to have faster speeds. And if xfinity ever says its not compatible, you can replace the modem/voice part and still have a router to use. 

Just my 2 cents.