Skip to main content

For the last several weeks to now almost daily, my S33 V1.0 Arris Modem loses upstream connectivity first (and then all connectivity) typically in the afternoons. The outage can happen for minutes or hours. I sometimes lose connections at other points during the day, but almost daily between 1-3pm. 

A few things I've noticed in the error logs:

• 16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel 5
  • No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
  • Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out
  • CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 8; Chan ID: 3; DSID: N/A
  • CM-STATUS message sent. Event Type Code: 7; Chan ID: 3 4; DSID: N/A

I also noticed that only 1 Upstream Bonded Channels is locked - Channel 5. Channels 1,2,3,4 and 11 remain Unlocked (sometimes they lock). Power level for Channel 5 is 58.0 dBmW and all other channels range between 51.3-55.0. All Downstream Channels are locked, power levels are at 1 dBmW, SNR/MER is around 42/43 db, Corrected and Uncorrectable are 0 for almost all downstream channels. 

When the outage happens, I notice my upload speed/link goes first and then minutes later the whole connection. I can restart my modem, but that doesnt usually work. My cable TV is also out during this period.

Any thoughts as to what is happening?

The signal comes from out to inside the home. There are some important things that should be within a specific range in order for the internet to work properly.

First, the SNR should be above 33 on all of them. The downstream power should always be between -15 and +15. The closer to 0 the better connection. Finally, your upstream power should always be between +45 and +51

On all of those values you should not have more than 3 decibels (or dB) between the lowest and the highest

By having the values in less than that, your device will have interrupted connection, slow or no connection at all.

Here the upstream values are not in accepted level so this needs to be checked again after reconfiguring the modem 
so please do hard reset on the modem then check again the signal levels. Even after resetting the modem if the values are same then it needs to be corrected and that can be done by the service provider remotely,  all you need to do is to contact your ISP and re provision the modem then monitor connection for next 24hrs.