Skip to main content

So I purchased an S33, brand new, from BestBuy on Saturday.  I was not able to activate the modem with the xfinity app so they put me into contact with one of the CS representatives via text chat.  After a long period of time they came back and said the modem could not be activated on the network because it was registered to somebody else, and advised that I contact the manufacturer.

Here’s the funny part.  Last week I purchased a different modem, from a different manufacturer, and from a different retailer.  When trying to activate it I got virtually the same story - I was told it was a refurbished unit (that’s not what I purchased) and it was currently registered to somebody else.

What are the odds of this happening twice? Pretty far out there I’d guess.  Is someone out there spoofing MAC addresses?  Does xFinity really not want me to own my own modem?  They’ve been of absolutely no help.  Is there somebody here that can help me?  I was trying to access the live chat, which is supposed to be active according to their schedule, but it currently not.

Modem activation can only be done by your internet service provider, as they are the ones who can send the IP address needed for the modem to access the internet. You should check with your provider to see if they can remove the old account from the modem and activate it under your account. If that’s not possible, you may need to get a new modem.