Skip to main content
Solved

Xfinity claims consumer modems (S33 in my case) are not mid-split ready.

• 4 April 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello,

After much back & forth with xfinity, they are telling me that the S33 is NOT mid split ready. Currently xfinity forces you to sub to xficomplete and use their XB7 or XB8 modem.

Xfinity customer support:

Cable modems need to be able to have the features to access the greater mid-split upstream bandwidth, and not all cable modems have that ability right now(Only our gateways). A modem will need to at least support DOCSIS 3.1. In other words, Retail modems do not yet support the new allocation. As this upgrade rolls out to more of our network in 2023, we anticipate the retail modem manufacturers will add mid-split to their modems and once they do so, you should then have retail device options available for higher upload.

Any firmware needed to be compatible is built and approved by Arris. They are the ones you want to ask about compatibility and when they will add the feature/turn it on.

My modem goes through several diplexer options on boot and is software ver TB01.03.001.10_012022_212.S3

My question is, does the S33 come ready for Mid-split upstream out of the box, or is this in fact a feature Arris needs to add via firmware.

I think xfinity is gatekeeping the mid-split feature to make more $$ off subs.

That is odd.  I’m running S33 on 1.2 Gbps service with Xfinity.  S33 is listed as compatible modem on Xfinity site.   The FW is pushed by service provider and the service providers are the ones that allow the modem on their Internet plan.  Sounds to me like someone is sending you on a wild goose chase. 

MIdsplit is mainly what frequency’s the modem and the ISP can use for increased upload speeds. 

Xfinity’s upload speeds are pretty low. My 1.2gig speeds are only 35mbps even through they’re capable of more. A midsplit device allows up to 525mbps upload. Which I doubt we’ll see xfinity allowing on the upload for quite a while. 

And its actually more of a push for xfinity to use their modems as the modem’s that do have midsplit capability, aren’t being allowed to have the higher upload speed tiers currently. the hope is in the future, they’ll allow other devices to be used but its not there yet. 

So if you’ve already got the S33, I wouldn’t worry to much about it unless you really need a faster upload capability. Then you’d have to go with xfi. 

Hello @foxmanb,

Thank you for submitting your question on our community.  Mid split testing is ongoing but not yet launched as service.  Our DOCSIS 3.1 products support Mid split capabilities and will be leveraging the services when available.

Can’t wait for xfinity to open higher upload speeds to the 3rd party device market. I’d love a bump in upload speeds. 

Can’t wait for xfinity to open higher upload speeds to the 3rd party device market. I’d love a bump in upload speeds. 

Sadly, I suspect those of us with customer owned devices will be lucky to get 100 up, you’ll need xficomplete and a ripoff xfinity owned modem for an extra $25/mo to get 200 up.

Could be. I can always hope other wise and that its a “system upgrade” issue. 

but xfinity will do whatever they can do to suck the money from people. 

Not the fault of 3rd party manufacturers that xfinity does so much to be an evil corporation.