Question

SB6183 IPv6 Dual Stack

• 11 December 2022
  • 7 replies

Is there anything that must be  done to configure this modem to support IPv6 dual stack on an opnsense router?  My internet service provider is wowway residential, if that matters.  If so; can you point me in the direction of the instructions.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The SB6183 is a modem only device. There aren’t any changes to be done to it from the end users side and the firmware is locked down by the ISP.  So there isn’t anything to change 

My ISP told me since I provided this device and they did not they had no control over it and to contact you to find out if there was any setup I could perform.  I did find on your site there were some configuration screens but nothing about IPv6. 

At the present time you and my ISP are both pointing fingers at each other as far as who can help me.  I am hoping one of you can clarify the resolution for this issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40
  1. I’m not arris. I’m a guy from the public trying to help you out on my own time. I’m pointing fingers at everyone :) 
  2. ipv6 is set from the ISP for their specific service. I can have a modem that one ISP will support ipv6 on and the next (like optimum) will only support ipv4. The modem has the capability but its dependent on the ISP
  3. The ISP is the only one who can push firmware to modems as part of the docsis 3.0/3.1 spec. So even if arris changes something in the firmware, its on the isp to push it out to devices. Which they don’t do because it costs them money to certify it. 

Sorry not you personally. The ISP said they support dual stack but I needed configuration info from my modem provider.  I could not contact Arris directly because my serial number is at home and that SB6183 may be out of warranty (I may have had it for two years now).  I am considering purchasing a second Arris for my daughter’s house with the same setup.  If I can solve this Arris can sell a second modem.  The current modem at my daughter’s home is documented NOT to support IPv6.  I found that online.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Again, its more about checking who the ISP is. You can check on your specific ISP’s forum for what modem’s they use that support it. 

The ISP says they will/can not update my modem and If I can enable IPv6 or if IPv6 is already enabled in the modem; it may work.  Nothing absolute but a possible answer.  Their compatibility page only references modems in terms of speed compatibility DOCSIS 3.0/3.1 the later being preferred.  Thanks again for trying.  I am going to try from my home before purchasing.

Thanks the effort was great on your part.  My ISP claims IPv6 works but cannot or will not explain how to IPv6 to work.  Provides no list of devices it works with.  Generally non-helpful.  End of Third chat with ISP now they claim they do not support IPv6.  Again not your problem and thanks for trying.  We did our best. Clearly this was a bridge too far at the present time.