Solved

Does the SB8200 have Active Queue Management (AQM)?

• 14 August 2022
  • 2 replies

I currently have the SB8200 modem that I bought back in 2017. I was looking around at modems to see if I need to upgrade to a newer model and I see that DOCSIS 3.1 is still the top of the line, so I should still be good for a while.

However, I saw that the Motorola MB8611 advertises that their modem has Active Queue Management (AQM). I can’t find any reference to AQM on the Arris site, but I did find that it is part of the DOCSIS 3.1 spec. Is this just a case of Motorola listing a feature that every DOCSIS 3.1 compliant modem has, or does Arris not have AQM in the SB8200?

icon

Best answer by whcatty 14 August 2022, 14:44

View original

2 replies

Arris says the SB8200 has AQM but that modem has been discontinued.  I had one but big problems with recurring outages with Comcast and for 6 months none of their “technicians” could figure out why.  Had the same problems of intermittent outages with Comcast using a Motorola MB8611.  Arris and Motorola are now the same company.  I dumped both DOCSIS 3.1 modems and now use an Arris SB6190 DOCSIS 3.0 and have had equivalent performance as the two DOCSIS 3.1 modems in between outages and the SB6190 performs flawlessly.  Arris and Motorola are aware of the outage problems with DOCSIS 3.1 modems and may have corrected it by now but Comcast does not have a clue.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello MiSwit,

we would agree with whcatty, and the  only thing we need to correct is SB8200 is not discontinued.