Skip to main content
Question

Internet Connectivity via WiFi

• 3 February 2023
  • 2 replies

I’m using Spectrum as my ISP.  I use a SB8200 modem.  As of this morning, internet through my wifi stopped working.  When I run directly from the modem to my laptop via ethernet, I’m able to get internet without a problem.  

I did all the routine steps to cycle both modem and router, including factory restoring both.  And I tried 3 different cables between the modem and router.  I figured the router (Linksys EA8300) must be the problem, so I went out and bought a new router (Netgear Nighthawk RAXE300).  Same problem.  WiFi works fine, but no internet.

The router shows a solid red internet light, indicating it’s detected the connection but isn’t receiving internet connection.  

I’m struggling to understand how going to my pc through the same LAN port, I get internet.  Connecting to the router it does not recognize the internet connection.  What am I missing? 

My family is losing their collective minds.  

Any ideas?

Sounds like the router is not getting to the internet. You should be using one on the back of the SB8200. 

Power on the SB8200 and wait for all solid LEDs. The power on the router. If you’re getting the same result. I suggest connecting your laptop back online and check the IPv4 and IPv6 address and compare it with the router’s.  It could be the router is not getting the IP address or DNS address.

I was finally able to get the router to get internet access after rebuilding the router settings.  Then leaving the router on and connected to the modem and have the modem reboot.  

I’m not 100% certain what fixed the issue, as I must have cycled the modem and router independently 4-5 times.