Skip to main content
Solved

SB8200 dropouts and errors. Comcast has been here 3 times and said everything is fine.

• 12 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Comcast said the first time our netgear modem may be too old, even though it was a docsis 3.1.  We got a motorola a few days later and had the same issues.

They came back a few weeks later and replaced the old rg58 drop (they should have done that a long time ago)  and ran a new cable from the pole all the way to the modem outlet. Signal improved, dropouts slightly improved but still goes out for minutes to an hour. 

A week later they came back again, replaced a port on the pole and adjusted the DB down a little. But didn’t make any difference. On the comcast board someone said that motorola may have a firmware issue causing all the errors on the OFDM channel.

So we got the SB8200 and this one too is having dropouts and the log is full of errors. Comcast says everything looks fine on their end.  It’s doubtful we had 3 bad modems in a row. 

All these errors are just from just 2 hours of uptime and we are loosing connection every 5 minutes now. 

1 modem being bad= for sure

2 being bad=rare

3=buy a lottery ticket. 

Basically I’m saying, if you’re having the same symptoms across 3x different devices and from different manufacturer’s, it isn’t likely to be the device. But comcast gets to be a pain when they’ve been out to much (or they start charging you for it). Your logs are still showing line issues. 

What I’ve done from them before is rented their modem for a month and when it had issues, it was on them to resolve because they couldn’t blame it on my “third party device” anymore.