Solved

SB8200 Hardware Version - Bought From Amazon Arris Store

Badge +1

Recently purchase SB8200 off of Amazon. Checking hardware version it list Version 1. Am I correct in assuming this has been sitting around for a long while? It appeared to be in original packaging. Should I send it back and reorder in hopes of getting version 7? Send it back and order from Arris with the assumption I’d get the latest version? Not worry about it?

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Support 15 March 2024, 17:42

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Who’s your ISP? For the most part it shouldn’t matter as version basically changed chips/suppliers versus performance. 

But if you’re on xfinity, I’d be looking at something that supports their next gen internet speeds as its a nice bump

Badge +1

I have Astound. Currently have below 1Gig speed and unless something changes I doubt I’ll need that in the next 10 years (though who know what beckons). I just payed the extra (vs Docsis 3.0) to future proof. I guess I’m curious because on here and other sites everybody posts about receiving Hardware version 6 or 7. From what I can research the SB8200 came out around 2017 (?) and obviously I wouldn’t think Arris would be selling a 7 year old router for list price. 7 year old technology doesn’t sound like a bargain, unless I’m misunderstanding something.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

where did you buy it from? 

You can snag a S33 or Hiltron Coda56 with multigig capability for around the same price. 

A bit more “future proof” with their multigig capability. 

Still within the return window?

Badge +1

From Arris Amazon store. Yes still returnable, price between S33 & SB8200 is about $65 ($145/$210). The thing is I don’t even need the capabilities of the 8200, I just don’t need the speed. My 10 year old modem died, it was only running 100mb which was adequate for me. I struggled to justify buying the SB8200 over the SB6190 for $55. The thing that swayed me was the 3.1 support.

Again, it’s hard to find info regarding Hardware versions and their meaning. Supposedly Arris will be calling me in the next day or so so I can talk with a human vs the Tier one rep who stated hardware changelogs are maintained by ISPs and the latest hardware version is #4!

From what I can tell the latest Hw version is 7 and what that means in regards to my recently purchased Hw version 1 I’d like to know.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

There is an option to check the hardware version on the GUI web portal. But the latest hardware version has to check only with internet service provider.

Badge +1

Yes I used the web GUI to find out which hardware version, as stated it is ver 1.

“But the latest hardware version has to check only with internet service provider.”

I don’t understand this sentence.

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

There is no option to change the hardware version.

Badge +1

Can you go into more detail? I am aware with docsis 3.1 that updating firmware is managed by ISPs, however how would they “update” the hardware if I bought the modem myself and own it. I could have easily received hardware version 6 or 7 as some did. Again, this was NOT bought from my ISP. My ISP (Astound) had no requirements as to what hardware version I bought.

Can you (or anyone) explain what one “gets” by having version 7 vs version 1?

As to the reason I am curious, if my assumption is correct (which I readily admit it might not be) then Arris has updated hardware versions to either increase reliability or features. If so, wouldn’t one want the latest hardware version?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Typically, the modem's hardware version is indicated by the tenth digit of the serial number.

It is not possible to update the hardware version; if you would rather have an updated version, I would advise purchasing a new device.

However, the modem's hardware version keeps its functionality the same.

I apologize, only firmware version can be updated by internet service provider not the hardware version.

Badge +1

Spoke with Arris support. They were unsure of why a hardware version #1 would be out there sold as new when they are currently on HW Ver #7 (from their Amazon store). Even though specification wise they all meet the same needs, she acknowledged that from time to time they update their components (for either reliability, availability or performance). It was ack that as a consumer, one does not expect a product manufactured up to seven years ago would be acceptable when there are 6 subsequent updates. There are reasons manufacturers update their products. As consumer we should benefit from those reasons when purchasing new products (within reason, i.e. I might get a ver 6 when ver 7 has been released recently).

Badge +2

I recently bought an 8200 off Amazon and have version 7 of the hardware.  Not sure it matters.   My older sb6141 ran much better then my new modem.  6141 was rock solid with the GUI and provided event logs.   8200 has a flaky GUI and empty event log.  My 8200 also claims it has been up for 20 days now but I know its rebooted several times the last couple of weeks.  Modem math?   Still … it doesn’t reboot as often as the older 6141.  I just like the 6141 because it had a much better GUI and provided a nicely formatted event log.   Just saying.   If your 8200 provisions and runs well … don’t think I’d care about the hardware version number.   However, the best advice is to see if your really preparing for future needs.   Personally, I am just hoping to get 100mbps with modest latency.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Tumble,

I hope to provide some clarity to many versions of the SB8200.  To maintain a high-quality standard and ensure production continuity, ARRIS sometimes qualifies components from different sources, indicated by different hardware versions.  Regardless of the hardware version, the products all meet the same technical specification, requirement, and customer expectation. There is no difference in performance between versions.

All versions are available for purchase in the market today because they are the same hardware with different hardware components are from different sources.  You do not need to send your unit back to Amazon and purchase direct from us.  Both products function the same and back by our warranty.  You’re not gaining anything by switching your unit for version 7.    

I think it’s perfectly fine to use a modem that is out in the market for 7 years if you plan on subscribing to Internet speed up to 1 Gbps.  If you have a separate Wi-Fi router, you can upgrade later if you want the latest and greatest Wi-Fi technology.   

ARRIS is running a scam with their features vs versions.  Versions 1,2, and 3 and maybe others of the SB8200 do not support link aggregation which means they will never be able to do 2GBPS download speed.  Which means for those that think this modem is ‘future proofed’, think again.  There should be a class action lawsuit on this modem due to advertising a feature they don’t offer.  So I’ve tried two of these units today.  One from Amazon one from Walmart.  Version 2 and 3.  I also got a refurb on another model and then found out it already has a class action on it and Amazon still sells it knowing they are all defective.  I’m really disgusted with this dishonest company cheating all their customers.