Solved

Sb8200 only getting 100mbps on a 1gbps plan from xfinity

• 22 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

had a zfinity technician rule out the splitter, coax cable, and ethernet cable a possible cause, down to being the modem itself causing the problem. what could be the reason for this failure. also i am hard wired to it (no router in between). could it be a hardware failure on the inside of the pcb board? if so which component that i may de sauder and re sauder.

5 replies

Oldest first

log into the computer you have connected and see if your actually connected at a gigabit rate. I’ve seen sketchy cables, ports, pc’s that only connect at 10/100mbps and limit speeds. 

Current setup: Arris G54-->Netgear RBE973S-->2.5gig tp-link switch, Xfinity 1.4gig/200mbps

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

S

i tried a few different ethernet cables all give the same results including tried it with wifi as well as one of the efforts

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

When you check the pc that is direct connected, is it connecting at gigabit speeds? Thats what we need to know. If its only connecting at 10/100mpbs then its pointless to troubleshoot xfinity’s line. But if its connecting at gigabit, its a different story

Current setup: Arris G54-->Netgear RBE973S-->2.5gig tp-link switch, Xfinity 1.4gig/200mbps

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

S

By check do you mean , check the download speeds on a site like speedtest.net? or is there another way to check

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

If you’re on windows its usually under your windows network settings for the hardwired device. 

settings-->network & ethernet-->Ethernet--->scroll down to link speed

currently checked in the settings only getting 100mbps connected why is that

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 26 February 2024, 19:49

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Boy thats hard to read and I was a participant in the prior conversation. 

So the SB8200 is a modem only device. Do you have a router connected to it? 

Or is the PC directly wired to the SB8200? 

Because if the PC is only getting a 100mbps link speed, its going to max out around that 90mbps. 

We need to figure out if its a router issue, a pc issue, or what device is causing it to drop from gigabit down to 100mbps

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Seen your other post. that states its direct to the modem. 

Lets try to stay on one conversation post. 

What pc do you have? 

Have you tried a different pc/laptop to see if its specific to your device?

Badge +1

no but im getting the same speed if pass it through wifi as well but i will try a wired connection with a mac and let you know. do you know how to check the linked speed via mac? i also have the dell xps 15 9560

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Since SB8200 is the cable modem, I suggest you to connect the computer or laptop directly to the modem through hardwired connection to run the speed test.

Badge +1

yea i did for the first one and that was the result still but for the second computer im saying i havent yet and its a mac. do you know how to check the link speed on a mac after i connect it via a wired ethernet cable

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

To run the speed test on Mac, follow the instructions given below:

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Settings, then click Network in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)
  2. Click your Ethernet service on the right, then click Details.
  3. Click Hardware.
  4. Click the Configure pop-up menu, then choose Manually from the pop-up menu.
  5. Click the Speed pop-up menu, then choose a speed from the pop-up menu.