Solved

(SB8200) Packet Loss Out,

• 11 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Let me start by saying that I have purchased a new SB8200, had a tech replace the coax in the wall and he also provided me with a new cable. My modem signal levels, and I forget the exact values he specifically mentioned, are in the dead center of the allowed ranges. “Perfect” is how he described them (for what that's worth) because they could fluctuate and still be within the desired range.

I did not have any issues with packet loss until I purchased 3.1 modems. I also own a g36 and experience the same phenomenon of 1-4% packet loss out at rather constant rate. I do not game with a router and I unplugged directly into the modem itself. I have tried different ethernet cords. I have also used the hidden troubleshoot menu on my series x and completely factory reset it… twice.

I recently read a thread that someone else with a 3.1 modem was experiencing packet loss out as well. My very loose “theory" is that AQM, active Queue Management, is dropping packets in order to ensure ping times don't raise significantly. However, the packet loss happens when I am simply playing a game. I have 1000/50 bandwidth so I see that as unnecessary considering how small gaming packets are. The issue becomes worse whenever I stream to twitch and try to utilize the upload.

I've tried playing behind a router and the issue is still there. I've also tried using my G36 as mentioned, and also a CM1000. The issue is still there. Any 3.1 equipment has this issue. I did not experience any packet loss in the past when I use the SB6183 and had a lower bandwidth.

Whether it's Netgear 3.1 modems or Arris s 3.1 modems, it's very hard to escape docsis 3.1 or puma 6 chipsets when having gig speeds. So my choice is to continue to deal with this or downgrade my internet, or find a rare 24/8 modem that's approved by my ISP (the only one has Intel chipset (puma 6)

I feel stuck.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 14 December 2023, 20:35

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The logs are Values read by technicians from the internet provider end, since the logs are what the coaxial cable transmits and the log screen on the router is the translator so can be easily read by them, the coaxial cable is owned by the Internet service provider, I wouldn't be able to tell you what that means.

If your Event Log is reporting a high volume of errors, this would indicate a potential CMTS signal issue. To troubleshoot these errors, we would like to note the current signal levels being used by your (SB8200).

Since you are using the cable modem we would suggest you to check the internet drops on direct connection and if still intermittent issue persist we would suggest you to check the cable signal level mentioned on the below article.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Levels