Solved

Wi-Fi Calling not working with SBG7400AC2

• 23 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I cannot get Wi-Fi calling to work with the SBG7400AC2. I have Vyve cable internet and Verizon cell service. This modem is new, and I had the same problem on the previous Surfboard that we were renting from the ISP. Also, I had this problem on my older phone (Galaxy S8+) and thought it was because the phone was so old, but same thing is happening on the new phone (Galaxy S23 Ultra).

I initially set the modem up using the Surfboard Central app and just accepted defaults. I did just login to the web interface to see if anything was blocked on the firewall. A Google search suggested enabling IPSec, PPTP, L2TP, and VPN Service for a Netgear router. Under Firewall settings, IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP pass-through are enabled. I can't find anything related to a VPN, and I can't imagine that would be the issue.

This would be merely a nuisance, except often I'll miss calls and cannot send or receive texts when the phone has decided to try and use Wi-Fi calling. The workaround once I've realized it is to turn Wi-Fi off on the phone, but that's not really a solution. I had turned off Wi-Fi calling, but I use it at another location where there is no cell signal.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks.

icon

Best answer by plemans 23 August 2023, 15:17

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

did you check with verizon or the phone manufacturer? I’ve had issues with wifi calling on different devices. Some will be rock solid and the next has nothing but issues. 

Also, if you’re using random mac/ip address on the phone, disable that feature. I’ve seen that cause issues

Badge

I haven't checked with Verizon since WiFi calling worked on two different phones at every location except for this one (my parents' house). I thought for sure it was their old router, but here I've installed a new one there and still having the same issues. Perhaps I will check with their telecom since that's the only common thread, other than it being two Surfboards.

Not sure about random IP/MAC on the phone. I haven't specifically selected this…

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

quite a few posts on google about fixing wifi calling on the s23. might check those out too

Badge

Thanks for the response, @plemans. When this originally started happening with the old phone, I spent lots of time researching potential fixes. I concluded that it was my old phone with out of date software, and just disabled WiFi calling altogether. Once I realized it was happening again with the new phone and new router, I did some more research, and the details in my original post came from that research.

Unfortunately, since WiFi calling worked just fine on my old phone and is still working on my new phone on every network except for the one that is controlled by the surfboard, I'm still curious to hear if anyone has any ideas related to router or modem settings, or perhaps a firmware bug specific to Surfboard.