Question

SBG8300 Not Broadcasting 2.4GHz band

Badge

I have a SBG8300 with a customized 5GHz and 2.4GHz band. My ISP is Sparklight and I am located in Arizona USA.

The 5GHz band shows up on all my devices, but I can’t see the 2.4GHz band. I have tried multiple tablets, mobile phones, laptops, and my desktop computer. None of the devices can detect the 2.4GHz band.

My internet speed is over 300mps upload and download (though I don’t think that would have any effect on the band broadcasting) and the 5GHz band connects perfectly to compatible devices. 2.4GHz is nowhere to be seen. I did use band steering previously, but we recently got a few devices that only use 2.4GHz. I turned off band steering and the 2.4GHz band isn’t detected by any device in any location inside or outside my house.

I did everything I can think of to troubleshoot and nothing has worked.

• Two factory resets (each of these settings tried on each reset)
  • Default 2.4GHz band and a custom 2.4GHz band with new SSID and password
  • Guest 2.4 wifi also did not broadcast; default or custom
  • Disabled and Enabled all 2.4 networks multiple times
  • Enabled and then Disabled Band Steering (never enabled on the last reset)
  • Changed the Mode to 802.11 n, 802.11 g/n, and 802.11 b/g/n
  • UIsed channel 1, channel 6, and channel 11. Also tried Automatic channel selection
  • Used bandwidth 20, 20/40, and Auto
  • Tried with Dynamic Channel Selection Enabled and Disabled (8hr and 1 Day DCS Scan Intervals)
  • Changed to all types of Network Security

When looking at “Wireless” under “Hardware” the 2.4GHz Wifi LAN port is Active, Link Uptime seems to be tracking accurately,  Radio Status is Active and it has a MAC Address listed. I won’t go over every setting available on the router, but it all looked normal, and any custom firewall rules, device management, parental controls, or advanced settings that I used were removed and set to defaults.

The 2.4GHz band shows up in the Surfboard Central App under My Network tab. I’ve tried a reset without connecting to the app as well.

Any pointers on something that I missed? The only thing that I can think of is that the firmware was updated by the ISP to not support 2.4GHz or something like that. I will be calling them in the morning to see if there is anything that they can do for me.

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

In this case we would suggest you to change the security mode for 2.4GHz network on the modem GUI or web interface and also try changing Wi-Fi channel that will fix this issue.

To change the security mode for 2.4 network login to the modem GUI 

Select Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi > Edit 2.4 GHz > security mode click on the drop down arrow > select WPAWPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) > select save settings

To change the Wi-Fi channel follow the steps mentioned on the below article

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG8300-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Channel

Badge

I’m having a similar issue and changing the security mode also didn’t work for me. I just have the flashing blue light saying the connection isn’t even being established. I tried full resets as well as what was suggested in both the original comment and response. Is there a chance I just need a new router? How would I go about requesting that?

I have a SBG8300 with a customized 5GHz and 2.4GHz band. My ISP is Sparklight and I am located in Arizona USA.

The 5GHz band shows up on all my devices, but I can’t see the 2.4GHz band. I have tried multiple tablets, mobile phones, laptops, and my desktop computer. None of the devices can detect the 2.4GHz band.

My internet speed is over 300mps upload and download (though I don’t think that would have any effect on the band broadcasting) and the 5GHz band connects perfectly to compatible devices. 2.4GHz is nowhere to be seen. I did use band steering previously, but we recently got a few devices that only use 2.4GHz. I turned off band steering and the 2.4GHz band isn’t detected by any device in any location inside or outside my house.

I did everything I can think of to troubleshoot and nothing has worked.

• Two factory resets (each of these settings tried on each reset)
  • Default 2.4GHz band and a custom 2.4GHz band with new SSID and password
  • Guest 2.4 wifi also did not broadcast; default or custom
  • Disabled and Enabled all 2.4 networks multiple times
  • Enabled and then Disabled Band Steering (never enabled on the last reset)
  • Changed the Mode to 802.11 n, 802.11 g/n, and 802.11 b/g/n
  • UIsed channel 1, channel 6, and channel 11. Also tried Automatic channel selection
  • Used bandwidth 20, 20/40, and Auto
  • Tried with Dynamic Channel Selection Enabled and Disabled (8hr and 1 Day DCS Scan Intervals)
  • Changed to all types of Network Security

When looking at “Wireless” under “Hardware” the 2.4GHz Wifi LAN port is Active, Link Uptime seems to be tracking accurately,  Radio Status is Active and it has a MAC Address listed. I won’t go over every setting available on the router, but it all looked normal, and any custom firewall rules, device management, parental controls, or advanced settings that I used were removed and set to defaults.

The 2.4GHz band shows up in the Surfboard Central App under My Network tab. I’ve tried a reset without connecting to the app as well.

Any pointers on something that I missed? The only thing that I can think of is that the firmware was updated by the ISP to not support 2.4GHz or something like that. I will be calling them in the morning to see if there is anything that they can do for me.

Tags: website

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

I suggest that you login to the GUI web portal at 192.168.0.1. Select Gateway>Troubleshooting>Restart/Restore, and then select Restore Wi-Fi defaults.

Also, try to factory reset the modem without a coaxial cable and check whether the 2.4G network name is broadcasting.