Skip to main content

I have an Arris Surfboard SBG8300 where the password for the 2.4GHz network isn’t working with new devices. I can connect to the modem/router and the password for the 2.4GHz network is correct in the Admin portal. Devices that have been connected to this network are working fine, but when I try to connect a new device (Echo Dot) to the network, I get an invalid password error. I’ve verified the password in the admin panel is correct and I’ve entered the password several times into the Alexa app that connects the Echo Dot, but I still get the password error. I have many devices using the 2.4GHz network, and they are all working fine. The error only happens when I try connecting new devices.

This doesn’t happen only on Amazon products. I only have this error on new devices that are limited to a 2.4GHz network. My only workaround is to use the 5GHz network. It’s using the same password as the 2.4GHz network, and I am 100% certain that I am entering the password correctly.

I don’t want to reset the modem or change the password or network name if I don’t have to; I have a lot of devices that I would have to reconnect if the network name or password were to change. I’ll do it, but I want to make that the last option.

I’ll appreciate any help.

Regards,

Jim

In this case, you can try changing the Wi-Fi password for the 2.4GHz network in the modem GUI. Then, attempt to connect that specific device to the 2.4GHz network using the new password.

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SBG8300-Changing-the-Wi-Fi-Name-and-Password

I followed the direction from the link, but I was still unable to get new devices (Echo Dot and iPhone 16 Plus) to connect. I enabled the guest 2.4GHz network with a new password and when I saved the configuration, the router restarted itself. When I connected to the router again, I had to re-enable the guest 2.4 network a second time. After this, I was able to enable the guest 2.4 network and I’m able to connect new devices (Echo and iPhone) to the guest network on the router. I have a few other devices that only work on 2.4 GHz networks that I’m goin go test.

I think I need to rebuild my network from the ground up. But, honestly, I have a lot more things on my To-Do list to finish up first.

If you have any more ideas, I’d be more than happy to try them before rebuilding my Wifi network.