Skip to main content
Solved

SVG2482AC Telephone Touch-Tone Dialing no longer works after many years

• 13 July 2024
  • 3 replies

I have Xfinity(comcast) and the phone suddenly stopped working in touch-tone mode.  Press buttons but dial tone continues as if no buttons were pressed.  Reconfigure phone to Pulse-Dial like the old rotary phones and it works fine.  Of course in this mode I can’t get to my voicemail and it is very annoying to wait for the numbers to dial.  I have replaced the phone and xfinity support is clueless and doesn’t even know that there is more than on dialing mode.  I am not sure if this is a xfinity responsibility to auto recognize which dialing mode is being used or a gateway responsibility.  Can anybody confirm?

If it is a gateway responsibility is there a configuration parameter or is it auto and simply failing now?

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

In this case to isolate the issue could you please help us with the modem LED light status and also check for the internet is that working fine?

Badge

There is nothing remarkable with the leds.  Phone led blinks as it should.  EVERYTHING BUT TOUCH TONE WORKS FINE.  The issue is one of the following:

1)  SVG2482 has config parameter to enable/disable touch tone dialing.  I highly doubt this.

2)  SVG2482 uses different circuitry to send pulse vs tone dialing and tone has failed.  I highly doubt this.

3)  Xfinity equipment has failed or been configured to not recognize touch tone dialing.  By far most likely but need to know for sure that SVG could not be the problem.  In other words, if it can send pulse and voice it can send tone and there is no special config required. 

I suspect only designer or SVG tech support could answer this with authority?

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

If you are experiencing issue with telephone line support, I would suggest to contact internet service provider for further assistance.

Since Arris doesn't have support for telephone.