Solved

WHY IS SVG2482AC STILL ADVERTISED FOR XFINITY?

• 23 September 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

As of this week (9/18/23) my SVG2482AC is crashing on Xfinity multiple times daily. Comcast support told me that due to the well know (new to me) issues with the “PUMA 6” chipset it is now not supported, in fact, INCOMPATIBLE, with the Xfinity network. But check out this ad:

https://www.arrismodem.com/svg2482ac/

It clearly states for use with Xfinity! Do I get a refund or at least a credit from Arris for this? They are/were clearly “DUMPING” these guys with a defective chipset.

What do you know about this? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 7 October 2023, 19:57

View original

7 replies

Badge +1

UPDATE: Okay, we need to help each other out with this. I understand that ARRIS has provided a workaround firmware update for this problem FREE OF CHARGE to the ISP's, but they won't "push" (deploy) it to those of us who own our own modems. We need to get ahold of the update and instructions on how to flash our modems with it!

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The Cable Operators (MSOs) have complete control of what cable modem/gateway hardware they will allow installed and the firmware it uses, this is because they own the coaxial cable that is connected to the ARRIS SVG2482AC, because of that the Firmware updates are pushed by them, and any update needed as well. Any associated firmware updates are automatically deployed by the cable operator. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer.

Badge +1

Check this out. I received a phone call (actually 2) from Comcast President's Staff person following up on this. They informed me that the FIRMWARE for ANY COMCAST APPROVED MODEM is furnished AND DOWLOADED to both company AND CUSTOMER OWNED MODEMS! The phone tech was totally wrong in that the modem is still supported. Problem turned out to be low signal level from the pedestal. A senior tech came out and replaced a couple of splitters and gained 3dB (50% more power).

Running fine now. 

Badge +1

So it turns out that the ill-advised tech support person who gave me the wrong info (and others like him) will be addressed by a directive from Comcast President's Office regarding misinformation being spread. Apparently the FIRST thing he was supposed to do was check the list of approved modems, and found the Arris SVG2482AC on it!

I have a whole host of similar issues regarding them that I'm also working on with the presidential staff. Will post updates here. 

Long story short, Arris did their due diligence. This event was all Comcast (and other ISP's who lie about their responsibility to update ALL customer owned equipment). Arris gave them the workaround free of charge with the understanding that they furnish it to all users. 

My question remains, how do we know if the ISP pushed the firmware or update to the modem if we dont know what the latest version is for it? . I have not been able to find this information. This way i can equip myself when calling xfinity and if my modem needs  update, I can then ask them to process the update. The intermitent and slow internet coming out of this ips and this modem is for the birds. 25Mbps is unacceptable. Where do we find the list/data that shows what fimrware version the hardware should have? Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

The service provider must distribute firmware updates to cable modem devices.  

Arris develops the software update and makes it available to service providers.  The service providers qualify, test, and distribute the software update to devices on their network. 

It has limited control or visibility on distribution by the service providers.

Did you ever manage to get Comcast to push you a SVG2482AC firmware update? I am getting the same response that you received from the Tier I support pointing the finger at Arris, and they are escalating this to a Tier II level.