Question

Change, settings (especially security)

Badge +1

Even following the instructions exactly, (I bought this year’s ago so there’s no way it’s under warranty, so to get any support at all from the manufacture of this product I have to pay for it, (warranty period x2 years and I’ve had this for almost x4 years), and I’m experiencing the following;  I can’t even log on, ) 192.168.100.1), in order to revise the factory settings. Even after “resetting” nothing happens. I’ve tried completely disconnecting everything and allowing it to completely cool so it only warms to room temperature and nothing.

This topic has been closed for comments

18 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

What device do you have? 

what are the led’s on it doing?

Badge +1

SB6190, all four lights are good as the top and bottom ones are green and both  middle ones blue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

If you disconnect the coax cable from it and then factory reset. Are you able to access it at the 192.168.100.1? (with coax disconnected)

Is it working? Because there isn’t really anything to change in that device as its a modem only device. 

Badge +1

I’ve tried completely disconnecting everything and attempting a factory reset, nada

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

But is it still working? 

You only put you’re trying to access it. I’ve seen lately where some ISP’s are locking users out. 

Probably because then users can check their own lines and say “you need to come fix this’. 

Your led’s indicate its up and connected and working. 

Badge +1

Yes it’s still good. I just can’t reset anything because I’ve no access.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

There isn’t anything on it to reset. 

There is a factory reset button on the back of it that’d need to be held for at least 15 seconds if you use it. but again, even if you do, there isn’t much for settings on it. 

Badge +1

The “factory reset” doesn’t seem to work for I’ve tried several times for even over 1 min and still nothing 

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

If its working, I’d leave it. it could be the ISP’s firmware has it locked down so it isn’t user accessible. 

what are you trying to change on it? 

Badge +1

I needed to update the security.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

There’s no security to update. Its a modem only device. 

Why do you think you need to update the security? Or what security?

Badge +1

WPA to WPA2 and the password I just update (change) my password every 2 months, normally, but don’t seem to be able to now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Again, the SB6190 is a modem. it has ZERO routing capability. 

That means no wifi, no router, etc. If you’re trying to change your security settings on the wireless, that’d be through the router. Not the modem. 

What router do you have? 

Badge +1

I’ve a Nest router in line from the modem. I don’t see the difference this makes for I’ve changed the security in this modem many times before so I wonder why I’m doing wrong now.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

it has zero wireless capability so there’s no way you changed that. And maybe you did change the password to log in but I’m betting your ISP locked the modem down because there isn’t any changes to make in them. 

Badge +1

I know about it’s “sore wireless capability” that is one of the main reasons I purchased it.

Badge +1

“Zero WiFi capabilities” I already know this, that’s why I have a router.  if there’s no way to change any of the settings then why would a ISP even bother to do that? Besides, why can’t I do this now when I could just a bit ago?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

again, it could be the ISP that locked them down. They’ve done it with their own modems to prevent users from being able to check the line themselves. I could see them doing it with other equipment since they control the firmware.