Question

Potential Help on a SBG6782-ACH

• 15 December 2022
  • 4 replies

I’ll try to hit the main points quickly:

SBG6782 seemed to be working well about 2 months ago

Had a major power outage and internet provider was down for a day or two (Suddenlink/Optimum)

When power and internet came back on, my modem wasn’t working at all or barely at all and cable provider said that I needed a firmware update on my modem (which they supposedly did from their office).  After that the modem was dropping the signal about 1-3x times an hour (and sometimes more than that)

Service call and it seemed like there were some issues that they resolved (like my modem not being in their system anymore etc) and some line to home cleaning up, but after a few weeks, modem still dropping a lot (2-3 times an hour).  

Another guy comes out and shows me that I have a really good signal to my modem but I couldn’t get internet… I disconnected routers etc. and got the internet working and thought that was it… BUT modem goes back to dropping signal 1-3x / hour

Finally convince them to let me borrow a modem and run it and mine together at same time to see if it’s anything from Pole to the modem OR actually my modem.  Their modem only dropped once and it looks like mine is working better but still dropping more than it should.

What is recommended here?  an Arris firmware reset?  or actually try reloading the most current firmware?  I can do just about anything here… thanks for suggestions in advance.

Any questions?

I know that ultimately I could purchase a new modem too.

thank you so much

Derek

This topic has been closed for comments

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

If theirs was still dropping (even through it was less) its likely to be a line issue. The SBG6782 is a docsis 3.0 device and more than likely they used a docsis 3.1 device and thats why it dropped less. but again, it still dropped for them so they can’t say 100% its your modem. 

Thank you for the reply!

The only reason theirs dropped once in 1 month was a power outage… mine has dropped more than that but hard to determine exact number of times… it was really high but now doesn’t seem too bad (maybe once a day?… I’ll know more today)   What would you recommend I do? or is it because I have the docsis 3.0 and should really upgrade?

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

do you have a screensnip of the cable connection's page and log? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +23

Docsis 3.0 modems on Optimum’s network is the problem.  This is straight from the horse’ mouth.

“Optimum Internet (no phone service) customers who want to use their own modem or gateway, we encourage you to use a DOCSIS-certified DOCSIS 3.1 modem for all internet speeds.

A DOCSIS 3.0 24-channel or 32-channel modem may be used for speeds ≤500Mbps but you may not achieve the full performance of the service you are subscribing to.”