Solved

SB6141- unable to find my network

• 17 July 2022
  • 8 replies

I  moved addresses recently, but am using Comcast/Xfinity as my  cable provider in both places.  My Arris SD6141 was working fine at Address 1 but not at Address 2.  Comcast entered the modem into their system (I had to create a new Comcast account).  They can find my modem, but I can’t pick up my system on any of my devices. My network name doesn’t show up on any of my devices.  Any suggestions?  Comcast said they can’t do anything on their end.  Is it time for me to simply replace my modem and start over?  Any help would be appreciated. 

icon

Best answer by plemans 18 July 2022, 03:31

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The SB6141 is a modem only device. Its not a router. so I’m not sure what you mean by they can find your modem but you can’t pick up your system on any of your devices. Again, its not a router so its not broadcasting wifi or have any router features. 

Well that would explain it.  I thought it was a modem and router.  Thanks so much for the clarification and responding quickly.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

did you have a router connected at the other place? Or what was going on there if you moved everything over from one home to the next. 

I presume so.  We had someone do the hook up at our other place.  Before that, when I was using the same modem, I recall now having a router… 

When I was working on getting the modem to work at the new place, I was wondering if my modem had a router in it (I couldn’t recall at the time) and the person helping me googled it and said it was a modem/router.  But that doesn’t mean it was looked up right.  When you said the SB6141 was only a modem I thought back to when I installed it three places ago and remembered….

Sigh…

thanks for your help!!

ps plemans…

I had to leave some things at the other place...the router must have been built into what I had to leave.

But I do have another question, do you have a recommendation for a router that is compatible with my SB6141?  I can look but I thought you might have an informed recommendation.  Thanks for your additional help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

I’d need a lot more details to recommend a router :)

How big is your home?

What is it made of for the interior walls? (certain materials block wifi well)

What speeds do you pay for? 

How many devices do you plan on supporting?
Are you gaming? Streaming a lot? 

Whats your budget (sadly important as its pointless to recommend one out of budget)?

Something to keep in mind is the the SB6141 is only a 8x4 modem. Its pretty much the base model docsis 3.0 modem. its only going to support the most basic speed tiers and not higher. I think xfinity is only rating it for 100mbps speed tiers currently.   It might be worth checking into getting a docsis 3.1 modem if you’re planning on faster speeds. Or even a combo device with docsis 3.1 like the SBG8300. 

I’m not really a fan of modem/router combo devices because the ISP controls the firmware on them. Plus if one part of it goes bad, you’re stuck having to replace the whole unit. 

It’s a 1700 foot townhome...no concrete within the unit...all drywall...upstairs and downstairs...location is in the center of the home...I’m getting a 50mbps from comcast...I do stream amazon/netflix movies and use for emails and web searches...rare to be doing more than one at a time…

probably would want to match the max of the sb6141...100mbps per xfinity...but would like to defer high cost right now...any recommendations on a router that would work with the highest speed but lowest cost...

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

If you’re looking at arris routers, its a little more slim as they tend to make more modem/router combo devices. And they’re mesh routers are a bit expensive for your needs. I’d probably point you at the Arris W30 as its a single unit mesh.  If you’re looking at other brands and don’t need anything fancy, wal***t has an RAX35 for around that 50 bucks this week. Pretty cheap and should easily cover that and be an AX router. Plenty of room for upgrades down the road.