Solved

SB8200 Improper Speed ISP redirecting to Update Firmware

• 16 June 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

Hey all,

I am having some issues with my SB8200 .  Speeds are inconsistent and overall network performance is erratic.  After looking at the arris events page it looks like I’m having all sorts of issues.  I called my internet provider (optimum) and they tell me that they have NO control over the modem and cannot update the firmware or operating software.  They tell me this because I supplied my own hardware and did not user the optimum provided hardware (don’t like paying rental fees). I told them that they should have control over it as this is the latest cable modem standard.

How can I upgrade my SB8200 if this is the case?

Help!!!!

icon

Best answer by SURFboard Moderator 7 July 2023, 15:13

View original

9 replies

Badge

Here is the latest event log…..

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello Radsman07,

We understand you’re facing speed and internet issue on the modem. Please check the speed plan from you’re Internet Service Provider(ISP) . 

Connect modem directly to a computer to the port that you had already connected the router 

Run a speedtest.net and if the speed is on acceptable range then modem is up and running good

If the speed is quite low then follow below link to check cable signal levels:

http://arris.force.com/consumers/articles/General_FAQs/SB8200-Cable-Signal-Level

Note: The screen share was of Event Log which is monitored by ISP

Badge

The signal level is fine…the modem needs an update and neither arris or my cable provider is willing to do it…

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Only the ISP can update the firmware, in any environment that I know of. I wouldn’t be too concerned about dynamic range errors. If you are seeing T3/T4 timeouts, or large numbers of uncorrected errors on the status page, that’s another matter.

Badge

The bottom line is that the ISP will NOT update customer supplied modems because they want all of us to rent their equipment for a nominal cost each month. In many cases the rental equipment is the same as many of us are buying. This policy is nonsense and should be illegal.  I have a SB8200 and get inconsistent speeds.  Talking with the ISP (optimum) is a total waste of time.  I really wish the equipment providers would provide firmware updates…..

Userlevel 2
Badge +18

Cox pushes the firmware to modems, even if the consumer owns it. That's how most ISPs work.

Badge +1

I just spoke with 2 different Comcast/Xfinity Tier II technicians who said DEFINITIVELY that they will NOT push me the firmware upgrade for my SVG2482AC that Arris provided for FREE to be DISTRIBUTED TO ALL BY ISP’s!

Badge +1

Please send this to your congressman:

URGENT! Hello Congressman,

This is a problem with XFINITY/COMCAST (and other ISP's) regarding a service problem that THEY HAVE CREATED! There is a cable modem made by ARRIS corp. called the SVG2482AC which contains a "PUMA 6" chipset. Xfinity is changing their distribution system in a way that caused all users with this product (and others with the PUMA 6) to lose service multiple times per day. ARRIS recognized the problem and created a workaround FIRMWARE UPGRADE which they have provided FREE to ALL ISP's TO "PUSH" (distribute) to all customers, whether it is an ISP provided or privately owned product. The problem is COMCAST is using this to FORCE SELL customers to renting modems by REFUSING TO PUSH THE UPGRADE. Please propose legislation to make this illegal!

Thank you.

Badge +1

After speaking with Comcast President's staff on chronic issues, it turns out that their tech support people are WRONG! Arris supplies the workaround for the Puma 6 issue FREE OF CHARGE to the ISP's with the express condition that they deploy it to ALL CUSTOMER EQUIPMENT, both Company and customer owned. But here's the kicker, Comcast staff person said they create and deploy ALL FIRMWARE for modems on their network anyway, so they OWE you the update. I assume that the other ISP's must do the same.