Solved

Is the SBG10 still compatible with Xfinity?

• 29 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Xfinity phone techs are telling me I need a new modem if I want to get more than 30mbps.  And they are telling me it is no longer compatible and that i need to update the firmware.

I am aware that the 600mbps plan I am on is more than the SBG10 can give me but at my location we have never been able to get even close to 350mbps download.   

If I replace my unit with another modem/Wi-Fi unit, will it be the magic bullet, or will I still get the same 150-245mbps I have been getting for the past year and a half?

icon

Best answer by Netopia 31 August 2022, 21:14

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The SBG10 is a 16x4 docsis 3.0 modem. It should be able to do faster speeds than 30mbps over a wired connection. when I logged in through xfinity’s portal on my account, it still showed it as a working device.

Are you testing wired or wireless? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +23

Hi @BigJeff 

According to Xfinity site, the SBG10 is allowed on download speed up to 175 Mbps. My next tier is 500 Mpbs. 

The SBG10 specs on Xfinity site shows wired download speed capable of up to 392 Mbps so it should be allowed on speed plan up to 350 Mbps.  You’re not going to come close to getting your speed plan if you’re connecting through Wi-Fi due to overhead, the Wi-Fi technology of the SBG10 and service peak hours.

For your 600 Mbps plan, you should be looking at G34, G36, SBG8300, SBG7600AC2, or SBG7400AC2 models.