Question

SBG 7400 AC2 Public Static IP setup

• 14 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Badge

I recently purchased an SBG7400AC2 Modem for a Public Static IP.  It was one of 4 modems approved by my Cable Provider when purchasing a static IP.

I was given a gateway IP, Netmask, Device IP, and DNS servers.

I was told by the cable company that I do not change the WAN settings and to leave it on DHCP.  I thought this was odd because I thought the Static IP was on the WAN side, but anyway, When I try to set up a network using the provided public IP, I get an error message saying it was not a private IP address range, and I needed to use 172., 192., 10., etc…  

Am I receiving bad information from the Cable company or is there something else I need to do?

My goal is to set my Unifi Dream Machine Pro to the Public IP address provided.  

I have tried pretty much everything I can think of.  I even put the static info on the UDM-Pro and set the modem to bridge mode, but no luck.  

Thanks in advance!

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +41

Hello bedge117

SBG7400AC2 is a gateway so you can connect your UDM-Pro with Arris modem without enabling bridge mode and that will allow you to get private ip address.

Badge

My goal is to set my Unifi Dream Machine Pro to the Public IP address provided. 

Badge

Hello bedge117

SBG7400AC2 is a gateway so you can connect your UDM-Pro with Arris modem without enabling bridge mode and that will allow you to get private ip address.

Thank you for your reply.  :)  

That’s just it though.  I don’t want a private IP.  I want my UDM-Pro to receive a public IP.  If you re-read my post, I do not want a private IP on the UDM.

I can’t get my SBG7400AC2 to receive the Public Static IP I’m paying for. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @bedge117,  

I will be assisting you with your public static IP setup.  Let me know if this is type of setup you need. 

Your ISP has given you a gateway IP, Netmask, Device IP, and DNS servers.  Sounds like you’re trying to configure the SBG7400 LAN IP with the gateway IP but the SBG7400 only accepts private address.  Try changing the NAT Mode to RoutedWithoutNAT first, click Apply , and then change the LAN address.  In doing so, the devices connected to SBG7400 would need to use Public IP addresses.  You would need a Wi-Fi router to manage your home network.  

Badge

Hello @bedge117,  

I will be assisting you with your public static IP setup.  Let me know if this is type of setup you need. 

Your ISP has given you a gateway IP, Netmask, Device IP, and DNS servers.  Sounds like you’re trying to configure the SBG7400 LAN IP with the gateway IP but the SBG7400 only accepts private address.  Try changing the NAT Mode to RoutedWithoutNAT first, click Apply , and then change the LAN address.  In doing so, the devices connected to SBG7400 would need to use Public IP addresses.  You would need a Wi-Fi router to manage your home network.  

Wanted to let you know, after months of back and forth with the cable company, this has finally been resolved.  

Your recommendation was correct.  It was also the first configuration that I tried.  However, it appears that the ISP sent the incorrect config for my modem. 

Once I convinced them to resubmit it, everything worked immediately.  Thank you for your response!