Skip to main content
Solved

security up dates for SBG8300

• 13 March 2023
  • 5 replies

Are any software updates ever created for my Wi-Fi cable modem/router ARRIS SBG8300?

How often should I replace my router/cable modem for security sake? The model I am using now I purchased in 2020 would it be out of date?

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Modem/router combo devices firmware is part of the provisioning from the ISP. Nothing the user can update. 

And 2 years isn’t that bad for modem/router combo devices. Its still a pretty solid device. 

good passwords/wireless security are key but otherwise if its still working fine, I wouldn’t worry to much about it

Badge

Thank you for the information.

Could you explain in more detail what you meant when you said Modem/router combo devices firmware is part of the provisioning from the ISP?

Does that mean that the security of the router falls back on the ISP and does the ISP update any security software?

Just need a little  clarification. 

Thank you .

John

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

It just means that on modem and modem/router combo devices, the firmware is controlled by the ISP by the docsis spec (modem specs). when they provision your modem they send the provisioning as part of the firmware. If you could modify the firmware on them, you could set whatever speed you want as its part of the provisioning. 

So end users can’t modify the modems firmware. 

Arris will send ISP’s updates to the firmware but they don’t always send them out as they have to certify it and it costs them $. So if it isn’t a truly critical update, they don’t update them. 

Badge

Thank you again.

Now I understand. 

John

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

Glad to help!