Skip to main content
Question

Surfboard SGB8300 Firmware updated and slow speed

• 1 March 2023
  • 5 replies

New modem/router. Subscribed to Spectrum 1G internet. Speeds slow - 30-90 Mbps with cable, about the same over Wi-Fi.

Called spectrum, tech came out and suspects device needs a firmware update. Speeds were good out the cable - 800-900Mbps. When installing, I remember the blue/green flashing.

Tech was kind enough to look in to it a little bit, but we can’t tell if the firmware on the device is most current.

In the manager, it shows firmware 01.01.139.NCS installed. Is that the most current? any other advice would be appreciated.

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

The firmware on modem/router combo devices are pushed by the ISP as part of their provisioning. Its not user updateable. 

Really makes me suspicious of that “tech” if they actually knew what they were doing or blowing smoke just to leave. They all know this as its part of the docsis spec 

Badge

The firmware on modem/router combo devices are pushed by the ISP as part of their provisioning. Its not user updateable. 

Really makes me suspicious of that “tech” if they actually knew what they were doing or blowing smoke just to leave. They all know this as its part of the docsis spec 

Thanks, that backs up the research I did after I posted the question. I’m not up on the networking devices, but its not all foreign to me either. But I don’t understand why it would be good out the cable and I am getting results like the attached.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

are these wired speeds? 

Wireless? And if wireless is it over 2.4ghz or 5ghz?

Do you have a screensnip of the cable connections page and event logs?

Badge

Wireless, but didn’t capture 2.4 or 5. It could have been either. I will say the wired tests weren’t much better. But those were run a few days ago.

We aren’t fully moved in to the house. So I will test some more over the next few days, capture better data and post the results.

Not sure if these can help at all.

Userlevel 6
Badge +40

They help but test the wired speeds. those speeds would be fine over 2.4ghz but wired and 5ghz should be faster.